11 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2017 2:37 AM by mauriceclarke

How can I display selected records in a portal?

mauriceclarke

Since Bento packed up about a week ago, I'm trying to recreate a feature from Bento, whereby I had a few fields (like portals) in my invoices in which I could choose a number of time records, expenses, etc. relating to a specific project, sum them and I could then add time based fees to fixed fees to produce a final sum to invoice.

In Bento it was very simple and intuitive. I would have thought FMP would make this easy, but I've tried everything I can think of and I'm left pulling out what's left of my hair.

I attach a screenshot of what I'm talking about from Bento.

• 1. Re: How can I display selected records in a portal?
          LSNOVER

Are you trying to select lines from the top portal? 

Do they they get moved to the bottom portal, or are those another section of items on the bill independent of the top items?    Do you need to save the selected lines, or is it just a temporary selection while reviewing what you are billing?

For selecting lines, one trick is to have a text field (could be Global or a regular saved field).   Write a script that executes off a button or line selection in your portal, and sets a uniqueID for that record into the text field along with a delimiter (CR, semicolon, whatever you like).  Be sure the Script removes the value if you reselect the line (i.e. take the value back out of your text field).

You can then do a Calculation that tests for the line item records ID being in your list of selected IDs.   I.e. If (position(MyTextField,recordid & "char(13)",1,1)>0,1,0)     Now you can use this calculated field in a Conditional formatting line to highlight the line, and you can use it to calculate a total.  Set up another calculated field in your line item record   that equals either 0 or the line item value * the selected calc above.  Total off that field.  

Here's a past thread with some good discussion and examples.

Can't grasp the concept of Multi-Select Portal Lists.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I display selected records in a portal?
            mauriceclarke

Thanks for trying to help. The problem is that I need a solution which doesn't involve writing scripts (for which I would need training, and for which I don't have time, or I suspect aptitude).

In Bento I could click a button which took me to the relevant records and then I could simply select the ones I needed to put into my table.

I'm hoping someone else has had the same issue and can point me to an example which solves the problem.

I'll check out the thread.

• 3. Re: How can I display selected records in a portal?
              erolst

LSNOVER wrote:

If (position(MyTextField,recordid & "char(13)",1,1)>0,1,0)

This one is more to the point:

not IsEmpty ( FilterValues ( portalRecordID ; selectedIDs ) )

• 4. Re: How can I display selected records in a portal?
                LSNOVER

Unfortunately, this is not a problem you are going to solve without a bit of scripting.  Filemaker scripting is not terribly difficult.  While Bento was certainly a capable little product, you will be able to go much further with just a little bit of effort in Filemaker.  But it will require a bit of work, or you will have to employ someone to help you.  What we are discussing is really pretty minimal.

• 5. Re: How can I display selected records in a portal?
                  erolst

You said "selecting tasks that belong to a project".

When you create a relational structure like

Project --< Task

you can - even without scripting - create tasks that automatically belong to the current project and have them all listed and their figures summarized, simply by allowing related records to be created via the relationship, using a portal and defining a few calculation fields.

It becomes more complex when you want to deal with subsets of project tasks, or with subsets of all tasks, eg creating reports by date, client or other criteria.

• 6. Re: How can I display selected records in a portal?
                    mauriceclarke

Grrr... I thought as much.

Why is everything getting more complicated? I'm already havIng to pay 10 times the cost of Bento for a program which is hugely less user-friendly. And now I have to pay someone to help me achieve a solution which would have taken me ten minutes in Bento.

• 7. Re: How can I display selected records in a portal?
                      mauriceclarke

Thanks, but you lost me at :

"When you create a relational structure like

Project --< Task"

• 8. Re: How can I display selected records in a portal?
                        erolst

That means that you have a Project table and a Task table, with a relationship that lets you add any number of related Task records to a Project record.

You may want to read this:

FileMaker Pro 16 Help

• 9. Re: How can I display selected records in a portal?
                          LSNOVER

Sorry, life is full of -tradeoffs.  I'm involved in training this week, but, if you message me privately, I'd be happy to try and give you a hand via a remote support session sometime next week if you haven't otherwise figured it out. 

There are some very good training Filemaker courses on Lynda.com.  The site has a reasonable monthly fee (30 day free trial).  You can get through most if not all of the Filemaker training in a week or so with some concerted effort. 

• 10. Re: How can I display selected records in a portal?
                            mauriceclarke

Thanks again, but I've read the help and it would probably take me a couple of days (that I don't have) to simply understand the concepts. I'm the sort of person who needs to work with real examples to grasp things like match fields, primary keys and foreign keys

• 11. Re: How can I display selected records in a portal?
                              mauriceclarke

Thanks so much for your kind offer. You've probably realised that I'm very busy and this sort of disruption is just what I don't need. I'll message you privately.