12 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 2:02 PM by sam_oda

PLEASE HELP!!  Upgraded to OS Sierra, and now I can't email with a PDF attachment!

Mike_K

I've spent the entire day trying to find a solution to this.  I've found a lot of "similar" issues, but EVERY SINGLE workaround or suggestion is either not quite applicable, or DOESN'T WORK!!

ISSUE:

Since upgrading my OS to Sierra, any time I try to send an email with a PDF attached, the attachment doesn't show up.

This has worked perfectly before, and I'm open to using Applescript (which is what I was using so I could attach more than one PDF), or I can use Send Mail via Client or SMTP.

MY SETUP:

Mac OS Sierra v.10.12.5

Filemaker Pro Advanced 15

Need a solution for Filemaker Network (some LAN files, also some FMServer files - both accessed through Filemaker Network)

Applescript is currently method of choice for emailing.

I'm hesitant to use any plugins as they seem to make things a bit more complicated than they need to be.

MY SCRIPT:

- Global Variables $$Signature and $$PATH are already predefined.  $$PATH is the PDF file, $$Signature is a signature based on the current user.

- All identifying information has been changed.  I don't have a company called Millions 2 Spend... yet...

- At the beginning of the script, I've tried including the following to control the delay in case it was being interrupted:

(Thank you Chris for the contribution from another post)

"on delay duration" & ¶ &

"set endTime to (current date) + duration" & ¶ &

"repeat while (current date) is less than endTime" & ¶ &

"tell AppleScript to delay endTime - (current date)" & ¶ &

"end repeat" & ¶ &

"end delay" & ¶ &

============================================

With or without the above script, including the delays as indicated in the script below, solved nothing.

The following is my script as it is currently, and as it has always worked for me:

"set therecipientAddress to \"" & Invoices::AP Contact & " <" & Invoices::AP Email & ">\"" & ¶  &

"set thebccRecipients to {\"Laura Konrad <laura@millions2spend.com>\"}" & ¶  &

"set theSubject to \"" & "Invoice #" & Invoices::Invoice ID & " | " & "Millions 2 Spend\"" & ¶  &

"set theAttachment1 to \"" & $$Signature & "\"" & ¶  &

"set theAttachment2 to \"" & $$PATH & "\"" & ¶  &

"set theContent to \"" & If ( IsEmpty ( Invoices::AP First Name ) ; "Attn: Accounts Payable," ; "Hi "  & Invoices::AP First Name & "," ) & ¶ &

¶ &

"Please find attached invoice # " & Invoices::Invoice ID & " for work complete at "& Invoices::Job Location Name & "."  & ¶ &

& "Thank you so much for the work and please let us know when you have any further requirements." & ¶ &

¶ &

"Regards,"  & ¶ & ¶ &

"Laura" & ¶ & ¶ & ¶ &"\"" & ¶ & ¶ &

"tell application \"Mail\"" & ¶  & ¶  &

"reopen" & ¶  &

"activate" & ¶  &

"set theMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:theSubject , content:theContent, visible:true}" & ¶  &

"tell theMessage"&  ¶  &

"make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:therecipientAddress}" & ¶  &

"tell theMessage" &  ¶  &

"make new bcc recipient at end of bcc recipients with properties {address:thebccRecipients}" & ¶  &

"tell theMessage to make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachment1} at after last paragraph" & ¶  &

// At this point, I've tried adding  { "delay 3" & ¶  & } but it didn't help.

"tell theMessage to make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachment2} at after last paragraph" & ¶  &

// At this point as well, I've tried adding  { "delay 3" & ¶  & } at the same time as the above addition, but it didn't help.

"end tell" & ¶  &

"end tell" & ¶  &

"##end tell" & ¶  &

"end tell"

==============================================================

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!  I will eternally consider you my superior, and pay homage to your name during my daily meditations...

Thanks so much,

Mike

• 1. Re: PLEASE HELP!!  Upgraded to OS Sierra, and now I can't email with a PDF attachment!
          Philip_Jaffe

Do you have the latest version of Filemaker 15?  It was initially released before Sierra, so it may be that pre-sierra versions of FM 15 had an older Adobe API?  Just a thought.

• 2. Re: PLEASE HELP!!  Upgraded to OS Sierra, and now I can't email with a PDF attachment!
            Mike_K

I have FM 15.0.3.305 - As far as I know, this is the most up to date without going FM16.

(I also have FM 14 and 13, and both of those are suffering the same noxious and vile issues)

Let's make no mistake, this issue is just the start of all things grinding to a halt.  And then comes the apocalypse!

• 3. Re: PLEASE HELP!!  Upgraded to OS Sierra, and now I can't email with a PDF attachment!
              Philip_Jaffe

Next thing is to be sure Sierra has the latest updates as well. v10.12.5 is the latest as I type this.

• 4. Re: PLEASE HELP!!  Upgraded to OS Sierra, and now I can't email with a PDF attachment!
                Mike_K

Confirmed.  It is v10.12.5 that I've loaded, and which is now plaguing my sweet, innocent scripting with its malice.

• 5. Re: PLEASE HELP!!  Upgraded to OS Sierra, and now I can't email with a PDF attachment!
                  dklein@tgroupmail.com

Mike_K wrote:

I've spent the entire day trying to find a solution to this. I've found a lot of "similar" issues, but EVERY SINGLE workaround or suggestion is either not quite applicable, or DOESN'T WORK!!

ISSUE:

Since upgrading my OS to Sierra, any time I try to send an email with a PDF attached, the attachment doesn't show up.

This has worked perfectly before, and I'm open to using Applescript (which is what I was using so I could attach more than one PDF), or I can use Send Mail via Client or SMTP.

MY SETUP:

Mac OS Sierra v.10.12.5

Need a solution for Filemaker Network (some LAN files, also some FMServer files - both accessed through Filemaker Network)

I'm hesitant to use any plugins as they seem to make things a bit more complicated than they need to be.

MY SCRIPT:

- Global Variables $$Signature and $$PATH are already predefined. $$PATH is the PDF file, $$Signature is a signature based on the current user.

- All identifying information has been changed. I don't have a company called Millions 2 Spend... yet...

- At the beginning of the script, I've tried including the following to control the delay in case it was being interrupted:

"end repeat" & ¶ &

"end delay" & ¶ &

With or without the above script, including the delays as indicated in the script below, solved nothing.

The following is my script as it is currently, and as it has always worked for me:

"set therecipientAddress to \"" & Invoices::AP Contact & " <" & Invoices::AP Email & ">\"" & ¶ &

"set thebccRecipients to {\"Laura Konrad <laura@millions2spend.com>\"}" & ¶ &

"set theSubject to \"" & "Invoice #" & Invoices::Invoice ID & " | " & "Millions 2 Spend\"" & ¶ &

"set theAttachment1 to \"" & $$Signature & "\"" & ¶ &

"set theAttachment2 to \"" & $$PATH & "\"" & ¶ &

"set theContent to \"" & If ( IsEmpty ( Invoices::AP First Name ) ; "Attn: Accounts Payable," ; "Hi " & Invoices::AP First Name & "," ) & ¶ &

¶ &

"Please find attached invoice # " & Invoices::Invoice ID & " for work complete at "& Invoices::Job Location Name & "." & ¶ &

& "Thank you so much for the work and please let us know when you have any further requirements." & ¶ &

¶ &

"Regards," & ¶ & ¶ &

"tell application \"Mail\"" & ¶ & ¶ &

"reopen" & ¶ &

"activate" & ¶ &

"set theMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:theSubject , content:theContent, visible:true}" & ¶ &

"tell theMessage"& ¶ &

"make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:therecipientAddress}" & ¶ &

"tell theMessage" & ¶ &

"make new bcc recipient at end of bcc recipients with properties {address:thebccRecipients}" & ¶ &

"tell theMessage to make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachment1} at after last paragraph" & ¶ &

// At this point, I've tried adding { "delay 3" & ¶ & } but it didn't help.

"tell theMessage to make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachment2} at after last paragraph" & ¶ &

// At this point as well, I've tried adding { "delay 3" & ¶ & } at the same time as the above addition, but it didn't help.

"end tell" & ¶ &

"end tell" & ¶ &

"##end tell" & ¶ &

"end tell"

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP! I will eternally consider you my superior, and pay homage to your name during my daily meditations...

Thanks so much,

Mike

Mike_K wrote:

I've spent the entire day trying to find a solution to this. I've found a lot of "similar" issues, but EVERY SINGLE workaround or suggestion is either not quite applicable, or DOESN'T WORK!!

ISSUE:

MY SETUP:

Mac OS Sierra v.10.12.5

MY SCRIPT:

- Global Variables $$Signature and $$PATH are already predefined. $$PATH is the PDF file, $$Signature is a signature based on the current user.

- All identifying information has been changed. I don't have a company called Millions 2 Spend... yet...

"end repeat" & ¶ &

"end delay" & ¶ &

"set therecipientAddress to \"" & Invoices::AP Contact & " <" & Invoices::AP Email & ">\"" & ¶ &

"set thebccRecipients to {\"Laura Konrad <laura@millions2spend.com>\"}" & ¶ &

"set theSubject to \"" & "Invoice #" & Invoices::Invoice ID & " | " & "Millions 2 Spend\"" & ¶ &

"set theAttachment1 to \"" & $$Signature & "\"" & ¶ &

"set theAttachment2 to \"" & $$PATH & "\"" & ¶ &

"set theContent to \"" & If ( IsEmpty ( Invoices::AP First Name ) ; "Attn: Accounts Payable," ; "Hi " & Invoices::AP First Name & "," ) & ¶ &

¶ &

"Please find attached invoice # " & Invoices::Invoice ID & " for work complete at "& Invoices::Job Location Name & "." & ¶ &

¶ &

"Regards," & ¶ & ¶ &

"tell application \"Mail\"" & ¶ & ¶ &

"reopen" & ¶ &

"activate" & ¶ &

"set theMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:theSubject , content:theContent, visible:true}" & ¶ &

"tell theMessage"& ¶ &

"make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:therecipientAddress}" & ¶ &

"tell theMessage" & ¶ &

"make new bcc recipient at end of bcc recipients with properties {address:thebccRecipients}" & ¶ &

"tell theMessage to make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachment1} at after last paragraph" & ¶ &

// At this point, I've tried adding { "delay 3" & ¶ & } but it didn't help.

"tell theMessage to make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachment2} at after last paragraph" & ¶ &

// At this point as well, I've tried adding { "delay 3" & ¶ & } at the same time as the above addition, but it didn't help.

"end tell" & ¶ &

"end tell" & ¶ &

"##end tell" & ¶ &

"end tell"

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP! I will eternally consider you my superior, and pay homage to your name during my daily meditations...

Thanks so much,

Mike

I haven't tried with FileMaker, but I had some applescripts go funny when emailing attachments via script. I had to add a delay of 1 after attaching the file like below so that the Mail saw the attachment before sending:

tell themessage

make new bcc recipient with properties {address:bccrecipient}

make new cc recipient with properties {address:submittedEmail}

make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachment1} at after the last paragraph --attaches deal memo

delay 1 --necessary for Sierra

send

end tell

• 6. Re: PLEASE HELP!!  Upgraded to OS Sierra, and now I can't email with a PDF attachment!
                    Mike_K

Thanks dklein,

I've tried adding delays of up to 3 seconds per delay after each of the 2 script steps to make an attachment.

Neither worked for me, and now I think I've made things even worse, because I can't even get Mail to create a new message!  At first it was just the attachments, now it's the whole thing...  I think some restarts are in order, and possibly a fresh take on it.  I don't know, I feel like I'm out of options.

Is there no solution for this???

• 7. Re: PLEASE HELP!!  Upgraded to OS Sierra, and now I can't email with a PDF attachment!
                      sam_oda

After OSX10.12.4, the path pattern is changed.

Is this issue relating your trouble?

Web Viewer Not Displaying from TempPath

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: PLEASE HELP!!  Upgraded to OS Sierra, and now I can't email with a PDF attachment!
                        Mike_K

Hi Sam_oda,

Thanks for your suggestion - I'll look into it tomorrow.

As an update, I've got half of the issue solved, but only for the solution I have hosted on FMServer.  For this, I used the Send Mail script, and sent via SMTP.  I don't like this very much, because I really like having the email client open so I can overview the email and add anything should I need to.  It also allows me to open the attachment to preview it.

Now with this method, I'm going to have to add a new layout to preview and edit as needed.  Kind of frustrating, but at least it works.

The big problem at this point is trying to fix the file on my LAN... but I'm already considering hosting this and using the same method as above in order to not have to waste my time trying to make up for the horrific effects of Sierra.

If Sierra was a person, I'd give her a very cold stare.  And then I'd turn and walk away.  And Sierra would DEFINITELY feel bad.   Oh yes, very very bad.

• 9. Re: PLEASE HELP!!  Upgraded to OS Sierra, and now I can't email with a PDF attachment!
                          Mike_K

sam_oda, I shall henceforth call you sam_YODA, as you are now my teacher and mentor.

You were exactly right!

Unfortunately, I'm still abandoning the applescript, only due to the fact that I got the Send Mail via SMTP working on both FMServer and the LAN, but I may revisit it in the future if the need for more attachments comes up again.

For now, the second attachment was just for a signature, but I've now built that into the body, so it's not necessary.

Thanks for your help!!

Skywalker out...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 11. Re: PLEASE HELP!!  Upgraded to OS Sierra, and now I can't email with a PDF attachment!
                            beverly

That's sam_oda . There are some real gems in there when he speaks.

Beverly