6 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 3:52 PM by William-Porter

Windows 10 Inspector icons too small, unreadable

William-Porter

I'm an old FileMaker user (in both senses) but my experience is almost entirely macOS. I've just gotten a nice Windows laptop (a Dell XPS 15 touch) and am trying to do some FileMaker 16 work on it. But the icons in the Inspector are so tiny they're unreadable. If I wasn't already so familiar with the Inspector on the Mac, I don't think I'd be able to use the Inspector in Windows.

I've found the Windows configuration options at Windows > Settings > System > Display > Advanced Display Options... and I've enlarged text a little, which helps some things. But my problem is less with text and more with the little icons in the Inspector, for example, the icons on the Inspector's first panel that you use to resize objects or align objects.

Can somebody throw me a clue on how to fix this?

Will

• 1. Re: Windows 10 Inspector icons too small, unreadable
          William-Porter

Nobody have a suggestion? Surely all the excellent Windows developers don't use magnifying glasses to view their icons. There has to be a fix for this....

• 2. Re: Windows 10 Inspector icons too small, unreadable
            DLarsen

I use Windows almost exclusively and I'm as old as dirt and it's mostly good. No worse than any other program.

Maybe try another screen resolution.

• 3. Re: Windows 10 Inspector icons too small, unreadable
              William-Porter

Well, thanks DLarsen for the reply.

Nearly everything else looks okay on this screen. Fonts fine, etc. The buttons I've built in my FileMaker databases look okay. It's just the icons in the FileMaker Pro Advanced palettes that are unreadable.

It might have something to do with the Dell XPS 15" machine that I'm on. It's got some hi-res screen. Looks beautiful. But perhaps FileMaker doesn't know how to respond to this screen. If that's the case, seems a bug in FMP. But I'll see if I can do something about it. Would hate to have to give up this gorgeous display in order to see the icons in FMP....

• 4. Re: Windows 10 Inspector icons too small, unreadable
                DLarsen

I have seen Filemaker behave badly on a couple ultra-high resolution screens back in the version 13 days. 

• 5. Re: Windows 10 Inspector icons too small, unreadable
                  planteg

Hi William,

what is the resolution of your Dell screen ? If you have a monitor, did you try to connect it to your Dell and see if it's any better ? I use FileMaker on Windows 10, but with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 (Full High Resolution).

• 6. Re: Windows 10 Inspector icons too small, unreadable
                    William-Porter

Thanks to planteg and DLarsen for responses and suggestions. You were both on the right track. I went to Best Buy thinking perhaps I'd buy another machine with a native resolution of 1920x1080 and see if that was better. It would have been, I'm pretty sure, but another great sales rep there advised me NOT to buy another computer and showed me instead what to try on this one. Got back to my office, tried his suggestion and it works!

Native and recommended resolution on this Dell XPS 15t is 3840x2160 with a recommended scaling of 250%. The solution for me is to switch to 1920x1080; Windows automatically changes the scaling to 125%. And icons in FileMaker's Inspector now seem about the size I'd expect them to be.

And the good news is, things still look nice on screen. Perhaps not quite as nice as at the recommended full resolution, but close enough. Not blurry or fuzzy. I might change back to full resolution if I start to do photo editing on this machine rather than my Mac; but for now, this is the answer to my question.

NOTE for anybody else who stumbles on this thread: I had to sign out and then sign back in for FileMaker to recognize the new resolution.

Thanks.

Will

1 of 1 people found this helpful