3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2017 2:45 PM by ericjlindholm

FMS16 AVPlayer taking longer to play audio files within scripts

ericjlindholm

Product and version - Filemaker Server 16, filmmaker go    

OS and version - Windows server 2012 R2

Browser and version (for WebDirect only)

Hardware - Server class PC,  iPads on connected over optimized LAN

Description - Playing an audio only file with no interaction or control takes longer with than it did with FMS15.

I have a barcode scanning script that plays an audio clip out of a container and then goes back to a global field with the curser set and  ready to receive the next text string to be scanned entered with the wedge type scanner. the av player triggering removes the curser from the field if there is not enough delay. 

on server15 with go15, no pause was needed after the AVPlayer script step.

on server 15 with go16, a .2 second pause was needed to guarantee the curser would end up in a field ready to type

on server 16 with go 16, a 3 second pause is required and a "attempting to access media" warning is flashed even tho no controls r enabled.

How to replicate

create a container with a very short and small audio clip

create a script that says play audio from file and the go to field [ select/perform ]

workaround - revert to fms15?

• 1. Re: FMS16 AVPlayer taking longer to play audio files within scripts
          TSGal

ericjlindholm:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  After playing a short audio clip via AVPlayer Play, the next script step is Go to Field selecting a Text field with Global storage.  I have included my sample file that was uploaded to FileMaker Server 16.

Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMS16 AVPlayer taking longer to play audio files within scripts
            HazMatt

I'm seeing the same thing with our FileMaker Go solution.  Here's my script step:

AVPlayer Play [Object Name : "container_VideoPlayer" ; Disable Interaction: Yes ; Hide Controls: Yes ]

All my videos are MP4 format and they were acceptable on FM 15.  Now that we've upgrade server to FMS 16 and Go client to 16, I am seeing the "Attempting to access the media.  Please wait…" message every time, which is forcing us to disable the videos.  Even if I playback the same video immediately after I successfully play it the first time, it is the same amount of delay, as if it has to load the entire thing all over again.

• 3. Re: FMS16 AVPlayer taking longer to play audio files within scripts
              ericjlindholm

Here is a functional work around utility script i made.  The great thing is if u use this to play all your media, when they fix it, u can change all your media handling is one place. 

I find that with FMGO16/Server16  Its actually faster to export the file and play it from the local device.  BUT!  it will delete the file automatically after playing which is another issue i have documented and has been confirmed on this device.  that is y i chose to handle my media in the following way.  

Utilities: play sfx (getFieldName)

If [ Get ( SystemPlatform ) = 3 ]
              Set Variable [ $sfxField; Value:Get ( ScriptParameter ) ]
              Set Variable [ $path; Value:"file:" & Get(DocumentsPath) & GetField ( $sfxField ) ] If [ IsEmpty ( GetFieldName ( $sfxField ) ) ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Message: "No SFX Stored - " & $sfxField; Default Button: “OK”, Commit: “No” ] End If

If [ not IsEmpty ( Filter ( GetField ( $sfxField ); " " )) ]
              Show Custom Dialog [ Message: "space in file name error - " & $sfxField; Default Button: “OK”, Commit: “No” ] Exit Script [ ]

End If

Set Field [ SCAN::ClipboardContainer; GetField ( $sfxField ) ]
              Export Field Contents [ SCAN::ClipboardContainer; “$path” ]
              AVPlayer Play [ URL: $path; Presentation: Audio Only; Disable Interaction: Yes; Hide Controls: Yes ] Pause/Resume Script [ Duration (seconds): .3 ]

End If