1 2 3 4 Previous Next 59 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2017 11:12 AM by jormond

Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?

jeffpk

Pop-up and drop-down menues are tiny on my Surface Book. 

I tried googling and could not find a resolution to this but did find that its been reported for the better part of a year.
      Help->Update tells me Im using the latest verison of FM15

• 1. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
          planteg

Hi,

as far as I ca tell, FileMaker Windows are drawn using pixel units which are fixed instead of being proportional the the screen definition: the higher the resolution, the smaller are the windows.

The only way I know to get larger windows and fonts would be to change the display settings to a lower resolution in Windows.

• 2. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
            jeffpk_1

This is not a viable solution.  I can't ask users of my app to change their screen res just to use it.

Frankly, with its display under windows this broken advertising this thign as cross platfrom is an outright lie.

It *needs* a proper fix

• 3. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
              Stephen Huston

You can check the screen size with FM functions and set the window zoom based on that, all via scripting.

• 4. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
                burghfan

In my opinion the work arounds to hide this issue, are just that "work arounds". FileMaker needs to fix this "BUG" in their software, and not with an upgrade that requires spending money.

• 5. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
                  planteg

I understand your point of view. Unfortunately there a not a lot of work-around. StephenHuston has another way to circumvent that issue. And note the same issue exist on Mac OS if I recall well.

I am wondering if you have the same issue with other applications, like Microsoft Office ? I don't have a ultra high res display to check unfortunately.

• 6. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
                    taylorsharpe

This gets to the problem of OS's native windows not being resolution independent in both Windows and Mac OS X.  They have always been this way, with some attempts at doing resolution independence.  Apple has actually done more trying to get this to work than Microsoft, but their bold plans fell short when they found out how complicated it really was and that the hardware at the time would really slow things down if implemented.  You can read more about resolution independence at Resolution independence - Wikipedia

Basically I have run into the same situations and all you can do are the workarounds.  There are no elegant solutions now unfortunately, which is quite disappointing.  The workarounds are telling the OS to use bigger fonts and icons and to use things like FM's zoom feature. 

• 7. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
                      planteg

Taylor,

your reference to Wikipedia is very interesting. There has been an OS that had a solution to this, OS/2 (for those who remember). How IBM had done that ? They added a unit to the typical pixel, called system font - this was a long time ago, so my memory may not be totally accurate about it. There was a 'system font' whose size was relative to the resolution of the monitor. Using the 'system font' as the unit to crate UIs, then windows were automatically scaled to the monitor resolution !

This brings two questions:

1. How come Apple and Microsoft can't use such a simple way to solve the issue ?
                      2. Why in the world are they creating such high resolution monitors, if they can't provide us with a way to use them properly ?

Shame on them .

• 8. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
                        schamblee

Windows has a scale setting. 

Windows 10 Go to All Settings, System, Display, then change the % of the "change the size of text, apps, and other items". 

• 9. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
                          William-Porter

I posted on more or less the same topic in another thread a day or two ago, after I got a new Dell laptop with native res of 3840x2160. At the recommended resolution with scaling of 250% (a concept I don't understand) FileMaker generally looked great but the icons in the Inspector palettes were too small to be readable.

Solution for me was to cut the screen resolution by 50%, to 1920x1080 with scaling of 125%. Everything still looks pretty good and the icons are now usable.

But I'm still disappointed at how fonts look in FileMaker 16 on this lovely Windows 10 machine. I've played with the smoothing options in the OS settings and also in FileMaker and I simply cannot get fonts to look as clean on Windows as they look (without any effort on my part) on my Macbook Pro. Actually I can't get fonts in FileMaker on Windows to look as good as they do in other Windows apps. In particular, white text on a very dark background shows jaggies and doesn't look good. I'm redefining some of my button styles in order to mitigate this problem. But I don't understand why this happens in FileMaker and not in other apps. See the screen capture below. The window in the background is the transcript of a chat I was having with my daughter in Google Voice, inside the Chrome browser. The window in the foreground is a layout I made in FileMaker, trying as closely as possible to mimic what I see in the browser. Why can't the text in FileMaker look as clean as the text in Chrome?

I bought this machine precisely to get some hands on experience with these problems and it's been educational. But it's also disappointing. I'm pretty agnostic about platforms. Lot of my users are on Windows machines and I simply can't tell them to buy Macs! I understand that things don't look as good on cheap hardware (whether Mac or PC) as on higher-end hardware, but the resolution on this Dell XPS 15" machine is high enough that it should be possible to do any darn thing that needs to be done to make icons and fonts and other layout elements look good. Seems to me that these problems ought to have a solution, even if it's complex. I know it wouldn't be a sexy bullet point in the "What's New" list of features, but this is really important.

fm16 font res.png

• 10. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
                            William-Porter

schamblee wrote:

Windows has a scale setting.

Windows 10 Go to All Settings, System, Display, then change the % of the "change the size of text, apps, and other items".

Yes and I've discovered that it's useful to be aware of this.

But I can't tell my users how to adjust their Windows settings. And in any case, I've tried almost every permutation of the available settings and I haven't yet been able to get things in FileMaker to look as good as they should.

• 11. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
                              planteg

That was also on Windows 7, thing is having a % greater than 100 can result in other issues. Mine were that in table view, the Layout was not properly drawn with 'cells' larger than others, either the width or the height, and sometimes a row was draw over the top row.

• 12. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
                                William-Porter

Yeah, I can imagine that scaling % complicates everything! But it's there in the Windows 10 settings, and for my current (non-native) 1920x1080 resolution a scaling factor of 125% is "Recommended." I tried it at 100% and, aside from making everything smaller, it didn't fix any problems in FileMaker or (as far as I could see quickly) anywhere else.

My sense is that customers simply put up with this. Stuff often looks like crap in Windows but hey, whatchya gonna do? Too bad.

• 13. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
                                  planteg

LCD displays are much much better than the old 'tube' displays... except for one thing. When you do not operate them at their native resolution, you will get blured images or get bad looking fonts.

Actually I can't get fonts in FileMaker on Windows to look as good as they do in other Windows apps. <...> The window in the background is the transcript of a chat I was having with my daughter in Google Voice, inside the Chrome browser.

Browsers are special beast in the way they handle the font sizes. If you compare to now browser applications, do the icons and texts get also smaller. For those who run Macs with very high res monitors, do you get the same issues ?

• 14. Re: Is there a fix yet for hi-res displays?
                                    siplus

we have huge performance problems with retina imacs and filemaker.

what is acceptable for people staring at a photo for 1 minute is not acceptable for people using our software, where lots of styles (some including shadow effects) have to be rendered very quickly, something that just does not happen as the used GPUs kinda suck with all those pixels that have to be rendered fast while users hit the go to next/previous record.

In gaming, where the impact is strongest, you have people that run software in Low Resolution Mode because they are getting 1 fps otherwise. We really need stronger GPUs.

ExampleArticle

1 2 3 4 Previous Next