5 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2017 7:17 AM by dburnham

Script Workspace Preferences

dburnham

If there is some logical explanation for why Script Workspace Preferences can be found in the VIEW menu instead of the SCRIPTS menu  (either of them, actually:  the one that opens Script Workspace or the other one that appears when Script Workspace is open.

I recall how when Script Workspace first appeared in a previous version of FileMaker we were asked to comment on it and we were told that the engineering team sincerely wanted feedback about it.   It is just bewildering that something as simple as this has survived as it was before in the new  FileMaker 16 version.

In fact, the same can be said for everything that appears in the VIEW menu when Script Workspace is open.

Just my opinion.

• 1. Re: Script Workspace Preferences
          TSGal

dburnham:

Thank you for your post.

The Scripts menu has actions attributed to Scripts and their placement, while the View menu is how the Script Workspace is displayed.  Since the Preferences affect how scripts are displayed, it is located under the View menu.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Script Workspace Preferences
            dburnham

I know you don't want to debate this any more than I do, but I think it is anything but intuitive to put Preferences in the View menu.   We already have Preferences located in the FileMenu, so it would have been sensible to locate them in a place where users already know to look for preference settings.

Moreover, we already have a Scripts menu, and it hardly seems reasonable that there isn't room in the Scripts menu for one more item that is called Preferences, perhaps right beneath Script Workspace.

Now that I know where it is, I am able to get to the menu items, but it deserves mention that it came as quite a surprise to find it there.

• 3. Re: Script Workspace Preferences
              Vincent_L

I know you don't want to debate this any more than I do, but I think it is anything but intuitive to put Preferences in the View menu.

You're 100% right, the current way makes 0 sense

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Script Workspace Preferences
                TSGal

dburnham:

I recommend posting your suggestion to the Product Ideas board at:    Product Ideas

The Product Ideas board is monitored by Product Management and Development.  All suggestions are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Script Workspace Preferences
                  dburnham

Where most Suggestions go to die?

(only half joking ... maybe 65% ...  )