AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMPA 16: Cannot Edit Tooltips on Buttons

Question asked by richardsrussell on May 29, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 by kupietz

Just installed FMP Advanced Version 16 and am trying to use it to edit buttons. I've got a set of buttons that insert arrows into the current cursor location. They make a nice little cross shape:

4 Arrows.jpeg

(The one in the middle inserts a bullet.) I wanted 4 more for the diagonal arrows, so I adopted the tested, tried, and true method of duplicating one of them and editing it 4 times to produce the desired array:

8 Arrows.jpeg

And there was no problem editing either the text on the face of the buttons or their actions. They all do exactly what I want. The last remaining step was to edit the tooltip on each one so it describes what it actually does, and this is where I ran into the brick wall. They all still show the tooltip that's associated with the original button that I duplicated, and I can't edit it. Furthermore, I can't go back and edit the tooltips on the original buttons, either.

"Aha!", I thot, "this must be one of those things that the spiffy new Layout Objects window handles now." So I went there, selected the object, and tried right-clicking on it to bring up a contextual menu, but no go. It doesn't provide me with an option to edit the tooltip:

Layout Objects Window.jpeg

Well, dang! How DO I edit the tooltips on my buttons? Because pretty much every database I've ever created has a tooltip on every button on every layout (yes, thousands and thousands of them), and my users take it for granted that they'll work 100% of the time with 100% accuracy.

I've gotta say that, if this is an inherent feature of FMP 16, I'm gonna warn everybody away from it.

Outcomes