1 2 3 4 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2017 6:08 AM by TomHays

Create runtime solutions

tinhx7

Hi guys,

I almost done with my current database project.

I'm thinking to create an '.exe' for Windows client.

I need some advises.

1. Am I able to edit layout, field, scripts, or tables?

2. Any cons?

3. What if I want to update the runtime later on without affect the user's data?

I read think thread regarding extra field, but not understand it.

https://community.filemaker.com/message/653811#653811

• 1. Re: Create runtime solutions
          TomHays

"Windows client" is not a good word choice here.

Client implies that there is a server-client relationship.

In the Runtime there is no client-server relationship possible.  The .exe reads and writes the local database files built into the project.  End of story.  There is no networking with other FileMaker installations.  The .exe is for a single user to read and interact with the prebuilt database "app".

After the project is built, you can go back and edit the files that are built using FileMaker Pro if you haven't disabled the ability to do so when you built the runtime project files.  The Runtime .exe cannot do any editing of layouts, fields, scripts, or tables.  The Runtime .exe is only able to read and write the database files as a data entry user.

Updating the project later has the similar issues as if you standalone set of files for a database project with FileMaker Pro running in someone's office.  You'll need to figure out a data migration strategy.

If you already have FileMaker Pro Advanced, I recommend that you create a Runtime of your project and explore the features it has a the features that it does not have.  The Runtime will be a modified copy of your project stored into its own folder.  Play with that runtime and explore if it meets your requirements.

-Tom

• 2. Re: Create runtime solutions
            schamblee

Runtimes are standalone.

FM runtime binds the runtime to the database and by default changes the extension of the database file to .fmpur.   This file will still open in FM just as any other fmp12 file will.   The binding basicly tells the runtime which database to open.   The database can still be edit in FMP not in the runtime.   FM does not compile the database in to a runtime.

• 3. Re: Create runtime solutions
              tinhx7

I know runtime is a single user database.

I'm using FMPA 15.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• 4. Re: Create runtime solutions
                tinhx7

How do I import the user's data into new runtime?

• 5. Re: Create runtime solutions
                  rouelf

Importing each table data/records from the old runtime to the corresponding table of new runtime. Make sure that fields in the tables from the old runtime are appropriately aligned to the corresponding fields of the tables in the new runtime. This can be scripted, and the script run with a button for importing.

• 6. Re: Create runtime solutions
                    tinhx7

rouelf wrote:

Importing each table data/records from the old runtime to the corresponding table of new runtime. Make sure that fields in the tables from the old runtime are appropriately aligned to the corresponding fields of the tables in the new runtime. This can be scripted, and the script run with a button for importing.

What do you meant the fields need to be aligned?

• 7. Re: Create runtime solutions
                      rouelf

If in Table A there is a field named “Bucket”, in the old runtime, then you want to align this field to the Table A and field “Bucket” of the new runtime.

Practice doing a manual import for a table from the old runtime to the corresponding table in the new runtime (or with the file before the creating the runtime). You need to read on the import function.

• 8. Re: Create runtime solutions
                        tinhx7

If the clients need to add new products/services, is that mean I have to use FileMaker to add the new items, and re-distribute the runtime?

• 9. Re: Create runtime solutions
                          schamblee

Any changes to the database structure or layouts will have to be done with FM.

• 10. Re: Create runtime solutions
                            rouelf

As stated above, “Any changes to the database structure or layouts will have to be done with FM”.

And yes, you will have to create a new runtime with the changes. Then if you use the same binding key, just distribute the database, that is, the file with the “.fmpur” extension. Of course you may need to provide the means to import data / records from the old runtime to the new runtime.

• 11. Re: Create runtime solutions
                              tinhx7

So, the file ".fmpur" is the one that I need to make changes, right?

• 12. Re: Create runtime solutions
                                rouelf

tinhx7, yes, you may open it with FM or FMA. You may also change the extension to ".fmp12", but it must be changed back to ".fmpur" to be used by the runtime app.

My self, playing it safe, make a copy, change the extension to ".fmp12"; then create a new runtime with the same binding key as the old runtime. then distribute the new ".fmpur".

• 13. Re: Create runtime solutions
                                  schamblee

but it must be changed back to ".fmpur

That is if the runtime was built with the .fmpur extension, which is the default

You can change the extension to fmp12 in the Developers Utility before you build the runtime, then you don't have to change it again.

• 14. Re: Create runtime solutions
                                    tinhx7

Hello guys,

According to FM documentation, runtime doesn't support save records as PDF.

macOS: Save Records As PDF is not supported in runtime solutions. However, users can print the current record to PDF by choosing File menu > Print > PDF.

Is there a work around solution?

1 2 3 4 Previous Next