5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 9:00 AM by TSGal

Double-clicking top left of Window doesn't close the window

hschlossberg

Fm16 ; WIndows 7

In all programs since the beginning of the Windows platform, double-clicking the icon in the top left corner of the window frame would close the window.  That doesn't work in FM16.

• 1. Re: Double-clicking top left of Window doesn't close the window
          TSGal

hschlossberg:

Thank you for your post.

I was able to replicate your issue once.  However, on all other attempts, the window frame would close.  This is what I did:

1. I created a new database file, Test.fmp12, and saved it to the Desktop.

2. I added one text field "Name" and went to Browse Mode.

3. I entered one record with Name = "TSGal".

4. I double-clicked on the FileMaker folder icon in the upper left corner, but only the sub-menu appeared.

5. I clicked on the layout to dismiss the sub-menu.

6. I double-clicked on the FileMaker folder icon in the upper left corner, and the window frame closed.

7. I launched FileMaker Pro 16 again, and when the Launch Center appeared, I double-clicked the FileMaker folder icon and the window frame closed.

8. I double-clicked Test.fmp12, FileMaker Pro 16 launched and opened the file.

9. I double-clicked on the FileMaker folder icon in the upper left corner, and the window frame closed.

Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can reproduce the issue consistently.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Double-clicking top left of Window doesn't close the window
            hschlossberg

Here's what I'm trying, with any FM file at all:

1) I use an existing window or manually open a new one from an existing one.

2) I double-clicked on the FileMaker folder icon in the upper left corner, but only the sub-menu appears.

3) I clicked on the layout to dismiss the sub-menu.

4) I double-clicked on the FileMaker folder icon in the upper left corner, and the window frame closed.

The problem is that steps 3 and 4 should not be necessary.  Among all Windows programs, this behavior is unique to FM16. 

Having to do steps 3 & 4 defeats the purpose of having 'close' as the default shortcut.  It would be a quicker shortcut to just single (or double) click the icon and move the mouse down a little to select 'close'.  By itself, it is not a huge deal, but as I do it many, many times a day and its behavior is different from the Windows standard, this seems like a bug that should be fixed.

Howard

• 3. Re: Double-clicking top left of Window doesn't close the window
              TSGal

hschlossberg:

Thank you for the additional information.  Although it doesn't happen every time for me, I am able to replicate the issue.

I have sent all information, including my observations, to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Double-clicking top left of Window doesn't close the window
                hschlossberg

For me it is consistent for each new window.  Once you've tried it once for that window, then the second time will work on that window (even if you switch windows and do whatever in between).

• 5. Re: Double-clicking top left of Window doesn't close the window
                  TSGal

schlossberg:

Our Testing department is able to replicate the issue consistently.  All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.