1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 3:37 PM by Jason Wood

Something with relationship that is not constant

user25183

I have a FMP14 with a contact file with 4 relationships. It seem to work just fine for the first 25 records. Then no entry in the related files for the following records. When check in the related file entry are there.

I just don't see where to look, to fix the problem.

• 1. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
          beverly

Can you post a screenshot of your layout (in Layout mode)?

Beverly

• 2. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
            philmodjunk

A screenshot of your relationships might also be helpful.

• 3. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
              user25183

I don't see why it can work for some and not for other

Here screensshot

Relationships: Contact=ContactInfluence=ContactReview=ContactDiscussion

2017-05-31_08-19-49.jpg

Layout (in layout mode) Influence[1..16+,Sort,Filter]

2017-05-31_08-19-49_02.jpg

• 4. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
                Jason Wood

Sounds like you're saying the portal might have 30 records, but only the first 25 will show content, and the remainder will show blank fields. And you believe if you are looking at these same records directly you see the content.

Correct?

There are a variety of things to look at. To start troubleshooting, put a "Go to related records" button on your layout to jump to the Influence table and check the option for "show only related records, current record only". Set it to open in a new window so you can compare side by side.

At this point you know you are comparing the same records, so any differences that you see would be related to the context.

Edit:

Is the layout you've shown us based on ContactInfluence

Are all the fields shown in Influence from the Influence table?

What is the filter doing?

• 5. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
                  beverly

Thank you! The portal:

'Influence' shows rows 1-16 and the scroll bar should allow you to see more than 16.

If you have a button on that layout with a

Go to Related Record

(another layout with the portal records), you will see all your records are there.

Perhaps the filter (on the portal if you have one) is not quite right?

Beverly

• 6. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
                    user25183

Hi Jason,

Thanks, We are getting in the right direction. The "Go to related records" button to jump to the Influence table with the option for "show only related records, current record only", show All records.

This layout is base on Contact with 4 portals (Connection, Influence, Review and Discussion) place in a Tab control

The "initial" related file is Connections (Network on layout), then I added the 3 others. The filter is to force only  record with the same Contact Id (Influence::Contact = Contact::PkId) to show only information from same contact, solve the problem for a time!

Data is also presented in an other screen Dates that work fine with 4 portals (Connection, Influence, Review and Discussion).

I guess there is something I don't understand correctly about FMP relationships.

• 7. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
                      beverly

IF you are using the filter, then your GTRR will not work unless you place the button in the filtered portal. You may put the button on every row, or use this as alternative:

1. duplicate your filtered portal

2. make it one row

3. add the button to the new copy and resize as desired.

Now the button will honor the filter!

Remember that if you change the filter in the main portal, you must change it in the small copy.

I wrote an article on behavior of some things with filtered portals:

https://filemakerhacks.com/2012/09/13/aggregates-in-filtered-portals/

Notice the GTRR button (in and out of portals - filtered or otherwise).

Beverly

• 8. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
                        Jason Wood

Sorry I haven't read this in depth as I have to run out now, but if you're relating from Contact all the way to Influence, it seems to me you're going way too far on the graph and all sorts of weird things could happen. It seems to me these tables are directly connected above with Influence--ContactInfluence. You could do something similar down below with Contact--InfluenceContact. Then there is no need for the filter.

• 9. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
                          user25183

Thanks for the suggestion,

I'm looking to do it using relation, unless it is impossible.

It involve connecting 4 tables to 2 tables

Contact  -----  Influence  ----  Dates

Contact  -----  Connection  ----  Dates

Contact  -----  Posting  ----  Dates

Contact  -----  Reviews  ----  Dates

• 10. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
                            Jason Wood

You lost me. What is "Days" for? Also you might want to explain what "Dates" is for - this is almost certainly what was causing your original problem - but I'm unsure of why it's there to begin with. Seems like if you removed the Dates table from the graph, your graph would be much more organized into logical "anchor-buoy" groups.

Sticking to just the Influence portal on the Contacts layout. I know that these tables have a direct relationship (Influence contains a foreign key field for Contacts), so if you want to list all the Influence records for a Contact, you just need to make sure Influence is connected to the Contact table occurrence on which the layout is based. You should not be using filters to show only Influence records related to the current contact when you can do that so simply by setting up the relationship correctly.

If you can get that working, you should be able to repeat for the other tables (provided they relate directly to Contacts).

• 11. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
                              user25183

First Sorry Days were supposed to be Dates, I change the post to avoid further confusion.

Dates is to display records from those 4 tables and some others for a given day.

The process works for the Tables Contact and Connections.

When I added the 3 other tables, in what I think is identical (Maybe not, but I don’t see what), I needed to add the filters for the 3 tables.

Since they relate to Contact and Dates, I needed to create a ContactInfluence in the relationship (the Contact file)

I added the foreign key of those three occurrences of Contact to the layout, they don't change with the main Contact record!

• 12. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
                                user25183

I have made a layout for each of the 3 problematic relationships.

With ContactInfluence (an occurrence of Contact) and Influence it work just fine.

With Contact and Influence doesn't work, show all records of influence.

• 13. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
                                  Jason Wood

user25183 wrote:

With Contact and Influence doesn't work, show all records of influence.

The relationship between Contact and Influence isn't useful because it goes through 2 intermediary tables that, when combined, do not make logical sense as a sequence.

Let's say your layout is based on Contact and you put a portal to Influence. Now follow the graph to figure out what you are going to see. You're going to see any influence that's related to any Date that's related to any Connection that's related to your current Contact.

Sounds like Dates is used in a sort of "dashboard" view, allowing you to move between dates and see a variety of different types of records created on that day. First, this should be its own group of table occurrences that is understood to be for the sole purposes of driving a dashboard. Second, you do not need a record for every date (if that's what you do)... just a single global date field that you can change to whatever you want.

• 14. Re: Something with relationship that is not constant
                                    user25183

I understand your point about Contact and more direct relationship with Influence.

It is not clear to me for the Date side. If I remove the Date relationship I will face the same problem I currently have with Contact. Build the relationship using Occurence! It is just switching the problem to the Date side.

How do you get the Date to work?

1 2 Previous Next