3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2017 12:45 AM by lexfx

Keeping externally highlighted text copied into a text field

lexfx

I am analysing documents and highlighting key parts of the text. That text (and probably non highlighted surrounding words) will then be copied into a text field as part of a chronology. The final chronology will comprise text, images and PDFs of documents. I have separate fields or containers for each.

Highlighting the text once it is copied into Filemaker is too slow and I have not been able to maintain text highlighted in Word or TextEdit. Is there a way I can copy highlighted text into my text field and maintain highlighting applied in an external application?

While my development is in FMA on a Mac, the final solution will probably also be used via a runtime on PCs so any solution has to be cross platform.

• 1. Re: Keeping externally highlighted text copied into a text field
          mikebeargie

FileMaker fields support rich text formatting, so if you're losing formatting coming from other programs with a regular paste (and you are not automatically stripping formatting with an auto-enter calc of TextFormatRemove(self) ), then chances are the formatting is proprietary and non-standard for rich text compatibility.

As for a solution that may work, you might want to check out any number of clipboard controlling plugins.

Specifically this one:

2empowerFM Clipboard Explorer

• 2. Re: Keeping externally highlighted text copied into a text field
            wimdecorte

To help think through this, what you are really asking is for two things:

- store the text itself

- store meta information about the text (highlight section start and end, highlight color,...)

If you could get an HTML/CSS equivalent of your marked-up text then you could store that and display it in a web viewer.

• 3. Re: Keeping externally highlighted text copied into a text field
              lexfx

Wimdecorte and Mike, thanks for the replies.

I have looked at all the options readily available to me - Word, Acrobat Pro, TextEdit, DevonThink, Scrivener and others but none maintain their highlighting when the text is pasted into the Text field.

I am looking at Clipboard Explorer but the solution has been be expedient - the original documents will usually be PDFs and, at worst, I can convert them to searchable and bring the whole document into a FileMaker database containing only one field with the whole document in it and highlight the sections I want to before copying and pasting the relevant bits into the chronology. This will be faster than highlighting copied parts in individual entries in the chronology.