6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 11:50 AM by ErichWetzel

FMP/A 16.0.1.162 MacOS 10.12.5 script cannot save duplex print option

ErichWetzel

FMP 16.0.1.162

MacOS 10.12.5 - we do not have PCs so I cannot speak to this issue on PC.

I have brought this issue up before and was hoping it would be resolved with the new version.  macOS FMP print step won't save duplex setting

For some time we have not been able to save the duplex print option in the print dialog box.

Edit script, check duplex print, save script, close script editor, edit script again, duplex print is not checked.

The only work around is to ask users to remember to duplex print things. During the time this issue has existed, our users have not been able to keep it in mind along with the real things they are responsible for.

Recommendations?

Thanks - Erich Wetzel

• 1. Re: FMP/A 16.0.1.162 MacOS 10.12.5 script cannot save duplex print option
          TSGal

ErichWetzel:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate this issue on macOS Sierra 10.12.5.  That is, I am able to create a script, select duplex printing, save the script, edit the script again, and Two-sided is still checked.

Looking at your link, the issue was addressed in macOS Sierra 10.12.2.

Try creating a new script with Print Setup and Print, and check the option for Two-sided.  Save the script and edit it again.  Does this work?

What printer driver are you using?  What printer is selected?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP/A 16.0.1.162 MacOS 10.12.5 script cannot save duplex print option
            ErichWetzel

TSGal,

I know that there was an update but I'm still having trouble with this issue.

- HP printer for test is HP CM4540 using HP driver version 19.13.

- Computers below are all up to date according to Software Update. Behaviors are the same with other HP and Xerox printers and appropriate up to date drivers for them.

- Mac user being admin or standard produces no change in behavior.

- Behavior is the same using both FMP 15.0.3.305 and FMP 16.0.1.162

- Existing databases use Open Directory for authentication.

- New test database uses no authentication.

- Printing when duplex is not shown selected does not duplex print. Duplex shown selected prints duplex.

I did the following to try to test this on two computers that are not using network users:

- Check status of this issue on a several year old laptop running 10.11.6

- Existing database scripts show duplex selected.

- New database, new script, save as duplex selected, shows duplex selected when running script

- On year old iMac running 10.12.5 - fully up to date according to Software Update

- Create new printer queue for HP CM4540.

- Existing database scripts show duplex not selected

- New database copied from old laptop shows duplex not selected when running script

- Tested with preexisting printer queue for the same HP CM4540. No difference in behavior.

- Copy new database back to old laptop

- Scripts show duplex selected

- Create a second new database on iMac

- Save script with duplex selected.

- Run script does not show duplex selected

- Copy database to laptop

- Run script shows duplex selected.

This duplicates behavior found on iMac clients running 10.12.5 managed by Mac server running 10.12.5 and Server 5.3.

Any other ideas or tests I can run?

Thanks

• 3. Re: FMP/A 16.0.1.162 MacOS 10.12.5 script cannot save duplex print option
              TSGal

ErichWetzel:

Since the issue only seems to occur on a specific machine (iMac running Sierra 10.12.5), temporarily create a new Mac user account.  Login to the new user account, launch FileMaker Pro, create a new database file, create a script with Duplex selected, save the script, and then edit the script.  Does this work?  If so, then there is something in the original user account affecting the print settings.  If not, then there is something system related affecting the print settings.

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, temporarily disable/remove them, launch FileMaker Pro and try again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMP/A 16.0.1.162 MacOS 10.12.5 script cannot save duplex print option
                ErichWetzel

TSGal,

I have tried the following:

New local user on computer, new database in FMP16, new script.

New local user on computer, new database in FMP15, new script.

(above tried on multiple machines)

New printer on computer, new database in FMP16, new script.

New OS install 10.12.5, new printer, new user, new database in FMP16, new script.

We do not use plug-ins.

None of these options saved the duplex printing.

Do you have any other suggestions?

-Erich

• 5. Re: FMP/A 16.0.1.162 MacOS 10.12.5 script cannot save duplex print option
                  TSGal

ErichWetzel:

After reviewing your original posting from last year, the report I initially created was eventually sent to Apple for review.  Apple was able to reproduce the issue with Pages using certain printis information was sent to Apple for review.  Apple was able to reproduce the issue with Pages under macOS Sierra 10.12.x using certain printers (mostly HP).  At this time, there is no further update.

My tests were run on a Lexmark CX 510de under macOS Sierra 10.12.5, and as mentioned earlier, I do not have the issue.  That is, the two-sided setting is saved and displayed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMP/A 16.0.1.162 MacOS 10.12.5 script cannot save duplex print option
                    ErichWetzel

TSGal,

Thank you for the update.

Our printers are all HP or Xerox and the problem with duplex printing not being saved in scripts properly happens with all of them.

Hopefully Apple can come up with a solution.

-Erich