5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 10:33 AM by TSGal

Can't format multiple buttons

hschlossberg

I have multiple text column labels.  I've set four of them as buttons.  Now I'm trying to define the hover and press formatting and it seems I can only do one at a time? 

Since they are each "grouped buttons", I have to use Layout Object Explorer.  But I have to select the text sub-object within each button and it won't let me select multiple text objects in multiple button groups at the same time.  Neither CTRL-clicking or Shift-clicking works to select those text sub-objects.  I've tried filtering the list by "text", as well as unfiltered.  I've tried selecting the four buttons and hiding all other objects, but CTRL-A still selects even the hidden objects...and I still can't define my hover/pressed anyhow.

This was soooo simple in 15.  And of course now I've wasted so much time I might as well have just formatted each of the four separately.

Howard

• 1. Re: Can't format multiple buttons
          steve@scoopconsulting.ca

Hi Howard,

I fully sympathise.  This is an 'improvement' in Filemaker 16 that causes great frustration.

I think the only way to ease the pain is to create a custom style for the column labels.  You'll need to set each label to the style individually. But when you change the style, it will them be reflected in all of the labels.

Good luck with it!

... Steve.

• 2. Re: Can't format multiple buttons
            TSGal

hschlossbereg:

Thank you for your post.

I recommend posting this information to the Product Ideas board at:    Product Ideas

The Product Ideas board is monitored by Product Management and Development.  This will give them a chance to see a pitfall of the Layout Object Explorer and consider ways to improve it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Can't format multiple buttons
              hschlossberg

Sorry, TSGal, but I'm not clear on what the product idea would be.  To allow for selecting multiple objects in the layout object explorer?  Generally speaking, we already can -- but just not multiple of certain types of objects.  Since it works for all other types of objects, I'd consider this an inconsistency or an overlooked case; this basic feature is still there, but it just doesn't work in this particular case.  When we're talking about an inability to format multiple objects at the same time -- something we've been able to do since the beginning of Claris -- I'd consider it a bug. 

Howard

• 4. Re: Can't format multiple buttons
                steve@scoopconsulting.ca

Thanks TSGal.

I haven't spend much time inspecting the behaviour - yet.  Not enough to offer a clear recommendation.

I was surprised to see you link the change in behaviour to the Layout Object Explorer.  I certainly like THAT new toy!  Could you explain why that precipitated a change in how grouped objects are treated?

Thanks ... Steve.

• 5. Re: Can't format multiple buttons
                  TSGal

hschlossberg:

In previous versions, you were able to format multiple objects at the same time.  This has changed with the Layout Objects Explorer.  Since the Layout Object Explorer is new to FileMaker Pro 16, Product Management and Development would welcome feedback, positive and negative, and the best place to give that feedback is the Product Ideas board.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful