3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 10:08 AM by dchretien

Web Direct 16 Database not available

dchretien

Hi,

I recently upgraded a two-machine deployment for a client.  Everything was working just fine in version 15.  We ran into some complications in installing new SSL certificates, so we begin with the default FileMaker certificates.  We were able to view and open all databases using FileMaker Pro 16, and we were able to open WebDirect-enabled databases using a browser once we replaced the "#" in the URL with a "/".

In trying to resolve the problem with generating certificate requests, we discovered that the server, through the Admin Console, would not delete old requests, and thus would not generate new ones.  Thanks to help from here, we solved that problem, and I was able to get the certificates installed on both the Master Machine and the Worker Machine this morning.

The two machines are connected, and the Admin Console (on each machine) indicates that the certificates are installed and valid.  (It is the same certificate installed on each machine.)

I can see and open all files using FileMaker Pro 16.

When I try to connect to any file using Web Direct (https://theserverfqdn/fmi/webd/thedatabase), I receive a "Database not available" dialog, and nothing opens.

I've verified that the databases to which we are trying to connect are enabled for Web Direct.  Both worker machines (1 is the Master machine, by default with version 16) are running.  I have restarted both servers since installing the certificates.

Created a completely new database with one table, one field, and one user.  Configured it for Web Direct, made sure that the user's privileges allowed access through Web Direct, and uploaded it to the server.  I can connect to it using FileMaker Pro 16, but through Web Direct, I receive the "Database not available" message.

Any suggestions?

My client is becoming desperate, because this is a system that has been used rather heavily, through Web Direct, and now, they're dead in the water until we can resolve this.

Thanks.

--Dennis Chretien

• 1. Re: Web Direct 16 Database not available
          dchretien

A bit more information...

If I try to connect to the Web Direct Launch Center, instead of directly to the database, things get even more strange.

If I use https://thewebserverfqdn/fmi/webd/, nothing shows.  There is nothing in the Launch Center, and I'm not prompted to authenticate.

If I use (https://themainserverfqdn/fmi/webd/, I'm prompted to authenticate, and then the databases that are allowed display.  But, the URL has been redirected to the web server. 

If I try the web server directly, again, the result is the same as before:  nothing.

If I try to connect directly to a database through the main server, I'm redirected to the web server and I get the "Database not available" message, again.

--Dennis

• 2. Re: Web Direct 16 Database not available
            ch0c0halic

From your description the Worker computer is not communicating with the FMS host. This indicates the Worker computer is not connected correctly to the FMS host.

The SSL cert is probably preventing connections because the setup between Host and WebD computer doesn't use the exact same FQDN as the cert. I suggest you redeploy on the FMS host to the client. Possibly you will have to reinstall the FMS on the Worker.

• 3. Re: Web Direct 16 Database not available
              dchretien

The certificate request was originally generated with a request for a wildcard certificate.  That was rejected by their IT Security people, who suggested requesting a SAN certificate.  So, we generated a new request using the Master Machine fqdn, but specifying the Web Machine fqdn as an alternative name.

The certificate came through with the Web Machine fqdn on it, and there were five documents provided:

chain.cer

webfqdn.cer

webfqdn.der

webfqdn.p7b

webfqdn.pem

We installed the webfqdn.cer on both machines.

I did use the Web Machine deployment tool to try to "reconnect" them, twice.  Each time, it said that the machines were connected, already.

The Admin Console, in the Status area shows the "Host Name" for the Main Machine as the "Server Name" from the Server Information tab in General Settings; it does not show the fqdn.