7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 3:44 PM by AjEGfmTech

What is a file[Conflict].fmp12 file?

AjEGfmTech

I went to go open a locally stored FM16 file that I had been working on last week. When I got to the file location in the Finder, I noticed that there were two files, named similarly.

• file.fmp12 (FM15 file icon)
      • file[Conflict].fmp12 (FM16 file icon)

I opened both files up and from what I can see, they are identical. Both files have the same modification date/time. I don't recall any errors or warnings when I was working in the file last week.

Which is the 'correct' file? Should I be concerned that something is wrong with one of the files? Do I need to 'recover' either of the files?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mac OS X 10.11.6

FileMaker Pro Advanced 16.0.1.162

The .fmp12 file is stored on the local Mac in a Google Drive sync folder. I am the only person that opens or uses the file, but any changes I make will sync to Google Drive so that I can continue working on them at home, if necessary. The file is only ever open at the office or at home, never both. I have many other fmp12 files in this same situation that have not exhibited any issues.

• 1. Re: What is a file[Conflict].fmp12 file?
          wimdecorte

Do you have the files in a Dropbox folder?  That's probably where it comes from.

Don't do that.

• 2. Re: What is a file[Conflict].fmp12 file?
            AjEGfmTech

They are not in a Dropbox folder, but like I mentioned, they 'are' in a Google Drive sync folder. Would that present a similar problem, even if used the way I described above, where the files are only opened by me and only opened either at the office or at home?

If that is the cause, which file should I continue using?

• 3. Re: What is a file[Conflict].fmp12 file?
              wimdecorte

Yes, same issue.

Can't tell you what file to continue to use; you'll have to look at the data and chances are you will have consolidate data from both files.

• 4. Re: What is a file[Conflict].fmp12 file?
                wimdecorte

AjEGfmTech wrote:

even if used the way I described above, where the files are only opened by me and only opened either at the office or at home?

The thing is that you had both files open at some point.  That's the biggest risk with this kind of deployment.  It's going to happen at some point.

• 5. Re: What is a file[Conflict].fmp12 file?
                  AjEGfmTech

Now that I think about this more, I do recall accidentally having the same file open in both FM15 and FM16 on the same machine. I use Spotlight to launch apps, and FM15 keeps showing up when I type 'filemak'. I had inadvertently opened the file in FM15 and then got called away and when I came back I launched FM16, like I would normally do and opened the file. I noticed that both were open and then closed the file in FM15 and quit FM15. They weren't open together for more than a couple of minutes.

That's the only situation I can think of. Otherwise, when I leave the office I ALWAYS logout and when I leave home I ALWAYS logout. I am confident that file (or any FM) file has never been opened at home and the office.

If the 'conflict' came about because the file was open simultaneously in two different versions of FM, that scenario could happen whether I was using Google Drive or not?

I would prefer not to lose the ability to pull up and work on prelim FM databases from other places other than the office. I'll have to weigh that against the possibility that FM 'freaks' out with sync services.

Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: What is a file[Conflict].fmp12 file?
                    jormond

That may or may not have caused the conflict file...but in any case, it is a result of Google Drive seeing 2 versions of the file it thinks is updated.

The syncing features of Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive ( Microsoft ), box and others, are dangerous to live files. DON'T store live files in those folders. People want to say it's safe, I've seen dozens of cases where a file gets corrupted, or data lost, because of sync processes trying to access an open file.

• 7. Re: What is a file[Conflict].fmp12 file?
                      AjEGfmTech

Got it. Thanks Joshua (and wimdecorte). Sounds like good advice. I will look for an alternative.