6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 11:04 AM by siplus

How do I uncheck a radio button?

ostrichtom

I am updating a duplicated FM15 database and need to uncheck several radio buttons so I can start over. I can't seem to find out how to do this.

• 1. Re: How do I uncheck a radio button?
          erolst

Click into the field to select any value, then press the Delete/Backspace key

Or put another copy of the field on the layout and format it as an Edit box, which also allows you to check if there are any stray values that were masked by the radio button's value list.

• 2. Re: How do I uncheck a radio button?
            beverly

I believe shift-click "un-checks", but I'm not sure it that's the x-plat way.

Follow what erolst says, or I may have a "clear" button next to something where I have a script:

Set Field ( myField ; "" ) // clear everything in 'myField' for this record

It depends on what needs to be done and why (for your users sake, perhaps?)

Beverly

• 3. Re: How do I uncheck a radio button?
              TomHays

beverly wrote:

I believe shift-click "un-checks", but I'm not sure it that's the x-plat way.

Yes, shift-click deselects on both Mac and Windows FileMaker Pro.

I don't know if there is a shift-click option or alternative for iOS or Web Direct.

• 4. Re: How do I uncheck a radio button?
                philmodjunk

Another option, if your value list is a custom values list, is to include a null value as one of the values in the value list. This can be more obvious than a keyboard action and require less design effort (slightly less) than a button.

Though these days, I borrow from iOS interface elements and often put a circle with an x in it next to fields (radio button or otherwise) where the user might frequently need to clear the field and then pass Get (FieldName) as a script parameter to the following script:

Set Field By Name [ Get ( ScriptParameter ) ; "" ]

• 5. Re: How do I uncheck a radio button?
                  beverly

Web forms have had this forever! I should think Web Direct is the same. It's the iOS that doesn't have a multi-key entry. Thus the suggestion to "clear".

Beverly

• 6. Re: How do I uncheck a radio button?
                    siplus

Building on what the others said, if you have 10'000 records your best move is to do a replace field contents with "".