7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2017 11:07 PM by champM

FM16 on Windows doesn't stay open after closing file

realgrouchy

This is touted to be a new 'feature' of FM 16, but I'm frequently annoyed in FMPA16 on Windows when I'm trying to close a database and reopen it from the Launcher because FMPA doesn't stay open.

Is there a way to disable this 'feature' and keep FMPA and/or the Launcher open after I close the last file?

I'm using Windows 8.

- RG>

• 1. Re: FM16 on Windows doesn't stay open after closing file
          planteg

Hi,

since the change in FMP 16, there is no application window now. If the file open is the only window open, then closing it will close FMP 16. What I found out is if there is another window open such as the Data viewer or the Script Workspace, then closing the file will bring the Launche window.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FM16 on Windows doesn't stay open after closing file
            realgrouchy

Thanks, that helps. For me, the Script Workspace closes with the file (maybe you meant Debugger?), but the Data Viewer does stay open and triggers the Launcher after I close my file.

I'd still prefer a way to make the launcher open automatically after I close a file, rather than have to remember to open a component (like the Data Viewer) that I don't actually need.

- RG>

• 3. Re: FM16 on Windows doesn't stay open after closing file
              planteg

I agree,

quite a few times I closed the file window and FMP was gone.

• 4. Re: FM16 on Windows doesn't stay open after closing file
                William-Porter

My impression is that this is the nature of Windows 10. On macOS, you run applications. An app will have a "layer" active even if it has no windows open; you can see it's menu bar. In Windows 10, on the other hand, most apps are really just tools for displaying windows. For example, when you close the last window in a browser in Windows 10, the app itself "disappears" because it has nothing to do.

I'm quite certain that this behavior doesn't bother my Windows 10 users, most of whom open FileMaker in order to access just one file. And as I transition more of them to WebDirect, this will become a non-issue for my users.

And it doesn't bother me, either.

BUT.... I suspect this is one of the reasons for the new "Open Launch Center" script step. If this irks you enough, add a few steps to your OnLastWindowClose script to count the number of open files:

If [ ValueCount ( DatabaseNames ) = 1 ]

Open Launch Center

End If

That will do the trick.

Will

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: FM16 on Windows doesn't stay open after closing file
                  realgrouchy

Thanks, that's a helpful workaround!

- RG>

• 6. Re: FM16 on Windows doesn't stay open after closing file
                    William-Porter

Glad you found it useful.

I've been thinking about it and I'd say that it's more than a workaround. "Workaround" implies there's something at least slightly wrong with the way FileMaker works now. After pondering it, I've concluded that there isn't. Closing the app after the last window closes seems to me more often than not to be the right thing to do. As I said, FileMaker has given us that Open Launch Center step so we can prevent the app from closing when we want to. But I use it in only one of my solutions. All the rest of the time I'm happy to have FileMaker disappear for a while.

In the past, it worked the other way around: In every solution where I wanted FileMaker to quit if there were no other open files, I had to script the onLastWindowClose process to do that explicitly: if there were no other files open, then quit FileMaker. And I did that in most of my databases.

So the change means slightly less work for me and I'm all for that.

I really don't see how they could do it any better.

• 7. Re: FM16 on Windows doesn't stay open after closing file
                      champM

With plenty of valuable new features in FM 16, vanishing top bar menu and launch centre is a bit of an issue. Great if Top File menu available for Desktop Full Access mode.

Cheers