4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 12:03 PM by wimdecorte

Setting up AD on AWS for FMS 16

Michael Frankel

Hi Gang -

Has anyone successfully done this?

I'm definitely not an AD expert, so I don't know even where to start, however I have a client who wants to do this and I want to know the correct and/or recommend way to do this in case they run into problems or have questions.

For reference, they do NOT want to link EC2 instance to their on-premises AD system.

Questions I have are:

1. Same machine as FMS 16, worker machine (in 2-machine WebDirect deployment), or separate machine?
      2. Recommended AWS EC2 instance type? (AWS seems to recommend t2.large or higher)
      3. How do I link all the EC2 instances together?
      4. Do I need one machine as a Domain Controller?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--

Michael Frankel

Wizard Consulting Group, Inc.

• 1. Re: Setting up AD on AWS for FMS 16
          Mike Duncan

1. This depends on server load. How many users are you planning to support?

2. Again, depends on server load, but plan on starting with at least t2.large, since that supports the minimum requirements for FMS.

3. The same way the are "linked" on any network, by belonging to the same domain.

4. You could, but AWS has a couple services that do not require a server, but you can use the AD service independent of an EC2 instance.

Do you need more than one FMS instance that all will need to authenticate users from the same AD? If you only have one server, you can just use local users and groups to use external authentication and avoid having to administer AD.

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Setting up AD on AWS for FMS 16
            Michael Frankel

1.     As far as users, probably 10-20, as far as I know.

2.     For reference, the FM Server Master and Worker machines are already set-up and operational.

3.     As far as a Domain, do I need a Domain Controller for that?

4.     Does AWS have a service that handles AD independent of an EC2 instance? If so, what is it called?

5.     Do I need to open up more ports?

Thanks,

--

Michael Frankel

Wizard Consulting Group, Inc.

• 3. Re: Setting up AD on AWS for FMS 16
              Mike Duncan

You are probably still in 1 machine configuration scenario, but I do not know your solution, so that may depend. FMS 16 now supports 100 WebDirect users on a machine, but you will want to scale the machine up to handle that as needed. That being said, the need to set up a worker machine goes way down, since webD has been improved to handle more load.

So you may not need AD if there is only one machine. If you do need it, you can look at AWS Directory Service where you can set up a Microsoft AD.

For ports, you could open up all needed port, or simply allow all traffic from the VPC since it would happen on the local network.

Hope that helps

Mike

• 4. Re: Setting up AD on AWS for FMS 16
                wimdecorte

Michael Frankel wrote:

3. As far as a Domain, do I need a Domain Controller for that?

Not sure I understand that part of the question.  If you want to use AD you need at least a domain and a domain controller.