mauiwhiteguy

Trying to remove specific letters from the front of a field

Discussion created by mauiwhiteguy on Jun 2, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 5, 2017 by user1069

Hey everyone,

So I've tried using several other threads to answer this question but my limited filemaker skills aren't allowing me to tweak those solutions to what I need.

I'm trying to remove specific letters from the front of another field and have the result in that new field. I work in film so every time we roll the camera we have a different take name identifying that specific shot. An example would be Scene 112, Take 3, B Camera. We would write that 112-3b. However there are several variations that can complicate this simple scene number.

• Sometimes we put a 'V' at the front of a take name if it includes visual effects. Ex: V112-3b.
  • Other times a different camera unit will shoot and we identify that as 'X'. Ex: X112-1a
  • Still other times, we create a scene that inserts between two previously written scenes and throw a letter in to identify it. For instance a new scene may now take place between Scene 112 and Scene 111. We would call that A111
  • Finally, sometimes there is a combination of all of these. Ex: VXA124-6b

This makes sorting by scene very difficult. Is there anything I could do to write a calculation which removes V's or X's or VX's but leaves things like A's intact? Ex: VXA124 --> A124

Better yet, is there something that could then move the A to be after the Scene number? Ex: A124 --> 124A

Thanks so much in advance!

Outcomes