5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 12:25 PM by skingjack

How to display your contacts in a portal?

skingjack

Very basic ( or should be) question- having issues showing my contacts in portal format- how does one do this?  Creating the portal requests that a related table be selected to show the contact info from however cannot select the contacts table (greyed out) Eventual goal once I get this working is to be able to setup a type ahead system for quickly searching/filtering through my contacts.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

• 1. Re: How to display your contacts in a portal?
          erolst

May we assume that Contacts is the one and only table so far in your solution?

• 2. Re: How to display your contacts in a portal?
            clayhendrix

Portals display records on a layout that is based upon a DIFFERENT table from where the records are stored.

If the layout is based upon the Contacts table, then a portal on a layout that is based upon the Contacts table is not going to be allowed. You are seeing this because the table upon which the layout is based, is being displayed at the top of the dropdown of Show Related Records From when you double-click the portal while editing the layout.

If you want to see a list of contacts to "scroll" through, you could create another layout based on Contacts, (list type), add the fields you want to see in the "list." If you choose list in the first dialogue box of the New Layout wizard, then the layout will automatically be set to list view, however, if that is changed to form view, you will only see one contact at a time.

You might be able (depending on the size of your current layout) to change from form view to list view and you will be able to "scroll" through your contacts.

• 3. Re: How to display your contacts in a portal?
              erolst

clayhendrix wrote:

Portals display records on a layout that is based upon a DIFFERENT table from where the records are stored.

From a different table occurrence that may be an instance of the same table.

clayhendrix wrote:

If the layout is based upon the Contacts table, then a portal on a layout that is based upon the Contacts table is not going to be allowed. You are seeing this because the table upon which the layout is based, is being displayed at the top of the dropdown of Show Related Records From when you double-click the portal while editing the layout.

Not from the same table occurrence, but feel free to create a new TO of Contacts and relate that to the existing one. (A so-called self-join.)

That FileMaker in this and other places still talks about "Table" instead of "Table occurrence" doesn't make it easier for people to grasp (no, grok! ) the crucial difference between these two kinds of objects.

Note that these remarks are just to avoid potential confusion. I'm with clayhendrix in that for viewing unfiltered lists of non-related records, a layout in List view is usually the best option.

• 4. Re: How to display your contacts in a portal?
                clayhendrix

Yes, you are exactly correct. I'm glad you clarified. It is quite a big deal. Too bad table occurrence doesn't have a one word name or doesn't have a name withOUT the word table.

However, a layout with contact details and a list like a sidebar of all contact names created so you can click the contact name and then see that contacts details in the main portion of the layout is something that I use quite a lot. In fact, I think the demo file Contacts has or did have something just as I have described. In my opinion, the demo files are not great for a beginner to use to look under the hood because they do more complex things, but if you want to achieve something like that, you can know what to ask for help with.

You will get an enormous amount of help from this forum. I always have.

• 5. Re: How to display your contacts in a portal?
                  skingjack

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your assistance- thankfully, I was able to resolve my portal display issues. =)

Jack