4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 9:47 AM by mcguirk

FTP via Insert from URL

andywalz

Has anyone successfully used Insert from URL to transfer a file via ftp/ftps as shown in Example 4 here?

http://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help%2Finsert-from-url.html%23wwconnect_header

I have an ftp server setup, and am able to use curl via the command line to transfer a file with:

curl -T /Users/andywalz/Desktop/Capture.png ftp://My-Mac-Mini-Server.local --user myusername:mypassword

However when I move the same file into a container field and use:

Set Variable [ $file ; Value: table::container ]

Insert from URL [With dialog: Off; $$results ;

"ftp://My-Mac-Mini-Server.local";

"--user myusername:mypassword --upload-file $file

--header \"Content-type: image/png\""]

I get "[1627] Authentication Failed" every time. I've tried with other ftps servers as well with same result. What am I missing?

• 1. Re: FTP via Insert from URL
          monkeybreadsoftware

First I could suggest using MBS FileMaker Plugin instead with much more CURL features.

But for now I would suggest to pass user name and password in two options to avoid problems with : in the password. Also the header give is for HTTP and not helping for FTP. Next the URL must contain the destination file name and ftp:// without s is not secure. I prefer sftp:// URLs.

And you may want to get the debug log from the transfer to read error messages.

• 2. Re: FTP via Insert from URL
            andywalz

Thanks for the feedback, I'm specifically preparing a demo of new native FileMaker 16 features so I'm not able to use MBS plugin, though I know it is very capable.

I don't think FM 16 supports an option for separate password, at least I'm not seeing it listed in the documentation. I do see now the example uses an http url however the documentation does say ftp and ftps are supported. I'm also aware that ftp is not secure. I spun up this ftp server simply for testing this new feature using lowest common denominator. How does one access the debug log you reference?

• 3. Re: FTP via Insert from URL
              andywalz

Even though the documentation says "The filename on the server will be the same as the filename in the container field," adding a filename to the end of the url does seem to have made it work.

Insert from URL [With dialog: Off; $$results ;

"ftp://My-Mac-Mini-Server.local/" & GetContainerAttribute(table::container;"filename"); ...

Thanks again Christian

• 4. Re: FTP via Insert from URL
                mcguirk

I believe the format is:  "FTP:myusername:mypassword@My-Mac-Mini_Server/Filename.CSV"

In my case, I used the URL number 000.000.000.000

But I do have a problem when I use this in version Go 16, it no long works.

So I guessing it has something to do with cURL.

Other thinks to watch is if you are on a Linux server, they are case specific. For example, I would think capitalizing "FTP" could break it too.