7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2017 5:30 PM by gerkmerkin

FMPA16 Not Sharing File While FMP16 shares with FMPGo16

gerkmerkin

What am I missing?

I downloaded a FMP16 and created a file.  I downloaded FMPGo16 and was able to see the file.  I had a trial version of FMP16.  It expired.  I bought a FMPA16 as I like the Advance product.  I open the same file that I had been sharing from FMP16 to FMP16Go on the upgraded FMPA16 program.  I can not see it.  I went through every checklist I could think of, and opened other programs and the host was not found.

I opened the same file and two others on FMPA15 and all files could be seen on FMPGo16, 15 and 14.  I went back to FMPA16 and opened again and no host found.  I opened the files remotely on FMPA15 and the host was found and the files all opened.

I then downloaded the FMP16 trial on another computer.  I put the same files on that computer via One Drive.  I opened the files on the other computer under FMP16.  I went to the Ipad and opened the files with FMPGo16 and Go15.

SO the bottom line is FMP16 will share and FMPA16 won't, but FMPA15 will.

I did they both FMP16 and FMPA16 on a laptop, and both worked.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the FMPA16.

Same scenario.

Both running Windows 10 Pro.

• 1. Re: FMPA16 Not Sharing File While FMP16 shares with FMPGo16
          Johan Hedman

To share things to FMGo, you should use FileMaker Server. You can only share your FM16 file locally with FileMaker Pro (Advanced)

• 2. Re: FMPA16 Not Sharing File While FMP16 shares with FMPGo16
            Benjamin Fehr

chances are that with the Demo Version, "Sharing" is activated per default and is NOT with real version.

go to Menu

File

Sharing

Share with FileMaker Clients …

Make sure that 'Network Sharing: is On.

Set all other options for 'Network access to file'.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-05 um 11.43.21.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FMPA16 Not Sharing File While FMP16 shares with FMPGo16
              gerkmerkin

I removed the trial version FMP16 and reinstalled the FMPA16,  Same problem.  Checked all the sharing settings.  The only thing I ever did to that machine was and an SSD drive.   Did have to change the BIOS

Thanks for the reply,

Greg Erkins

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

• 4. Re: FMPA16 Not Sharing File While FMP16 shares with FMPGo16
                gerkmerkin

Not the problem.   All set to same on all three programs on both computers, so I have confirmed that the settings are the same for the six instances.

• 5. Re: FMPA16 Not Sharing File While FMP16 shares with FMPGo16
                  gerkmerkin

Would you say that of a system that is totally local with less than 5 people that use only FMP and FMPgo products?

I understand the security risks, but my question would be, is FMP such an inferior product to FMPS, that the FMP should never be used at all as a base program?

• 6. Re: FMPA16 Not Sharing File While FMP16 shares with FMPGo16
                    gerkmerkin

I am only used this on a closed, local, firewall protected network.  All three machines, HP, Dell and Ipad, are on the same wireless network.  I thought the fact that I had the main computer on the Ethernet side of it, but I dispelled that theory when I had the FMPA15 work flawlessly on the same machine with those network attributes.  Nevertheless, I disconnected the wired side and only had the wireless side on, and the same results.

The Dell with the 3 programs; FMPA15, FMPA16 and FMP16, all worked with FM16Go and FM15Go, as did FM14Go.

The HP with 2 programs; FMPA15 and FMPA16, only FMPA15 worked with FM16Go, FM15Go, and FM14Go.

(I forgot the FMP16 trial expired and it was taken off.  Misstated in another post, 3 programs on 2 computers)

I will tackle today, most likely with a tech call to FM to solve this if I can’t and I will report back the answer when found.

I can’t imagine that it is an incompatibility with the Dell Computer as configured.   The BIOS has been changed.

• 7. Re: FMPA16 Not Sharing File While FMP16 shares with FMPGo16
                      gerkmerkin

BY ACCIDENT I FIXED IT, but are there really accidents?

Called FM Customer Support.   Great People.  Got advice to re-download FMPA16 with virus scanning off.  DID.

That didn't work.  He thought I may need to reinstall system software.  Thought maybe because I did have problem when I changed the operating software from original hard-drive to a SSD and when the Windows 10 Pro Creator upgrade happened, I had problems and had to change the BIOS.

Found a support dialogue box in Settings that said for help, put my phone number in and I would be called in 3 minutes.

Worked for me and talked to a gentlemen that explained about reinstalling system, but I couldn't find the Product Key on the back of the BRAND NEW COMPUTER so I decided to call Costco where I bought it in the first place.

COSTCO Concierge Service is great and ready to complete help me obliterate my computer and set to default as I hit the disconnect side-button and lose the call.   Call back and as I am on hold, I find another area, trying to find my product key called "Troubleshot".  WOW, I start that process.  Man comes on line.  I saw a screen that said something wrong with BitBacker, but it disappears as I try to recreate.  Find another for software Troubleshot.  It asks me what program with I am having a problem.  FMPA16 I select.  It does some magic and the screen comes up for a firewall with Public clicked on and Private clicked off.  I click on.  IT WORKS.

Now why FMPA15 would work, FMP16 would work, but FMPA16 was selected off.  Doesn't matter, but 2 days of messing with this has made me much wiser.