4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2017 1:31 PM by haider2016

pop-up menu

haider2016

Hi there,

I have a pop-up menu, the problem it shows only the first value. if I try to select another value it changes rapidly to the first one !!

any ideas please?

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: pop-up menu
          philmodjunk

You'll need to describe your database in more detail. Check to see if you have an auto-enter field option--either a looked up value setting or a calculation that might be changing the value on you.

Beyond that, please describe the set up for your pop up menu's value list in much more detail.

• 2. Re: pop-up menu
            haider2016

Dear Phil,

Thank you very much for your reply, I can explain the problem as follows:

suppose there is a pop-up  contains the following values:

A

B

C

D

Each element is a field in a record in a related table. The record also contains other fields. Suppose there is a field called value contains the follows:

what I need is when I select the element B,  in fact I need its corresponding value which is 120 in this example.

hope this clear enough

again thank you very much

• 3. Re: pop-up menu
              philmodjunk

That does not explain what you posted first:

if I try to select another value it changes rapidly to the first one !!

What you describe is a basic "use values from field" value list combined with  either a dynamic link or a look up or auto-enter option all made possible by a relationship. This is a very common thing to find in FileMaker solutions.

Say you have a layout based on a table named "invoice". In your value list, you want to select a customer and see the customer's contact info automatically appear on the invoice layout after selecting the customer. This first requires a relationship:

Invoices>----Customers (>---- means "many to one")

Invoices::_fkCustomerID = Customers::__pkCustomerID    (__pkCustomerID would be the primary key in Customers.)

You can then set up a "use values from field" value list that lists values from Customers where field 1 is __pkCustomerID and Field 2 is the customer name. When you select a customer by name, the value list enters the ID.

You then use one of three methods to show information from Customers:

Define fields in Invoices that use the looked up value setting to copy info from Customers.

Define auto-enter calculations that copy info from customers

Put the actual fields from Customers on your Invoices layout.

It's important to understand the difference between a dynamic link--just putting the fields from customers on the invoices layout and a look up that copies the data. If you later edit this information in customers, the data that was copied does not change, but if you use a dynamic link, the customer data on your invoices layout will automatically update. Both approaches are useful in different situations.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: pop-up menu
                haider2016

Thank you very much.