2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 1:47 AM by CarlSchwarz

iBeacon hardware recommendations?

JerryRobin

I'm looking for hardware recommendations for iBeacons. My client has a production area (clean room) with a lot of machines pretty close together, so I'm looking for beacons that will be easy to identify from FileMaker Go on an iPad even if 2 or 3 machines are within a few feet of each other. (I don't even know whether this is a realistic expectation. I realize that in some cases I will probably need to show the user a list of nearby beacons and have them pick which machine they want to connect to.)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

- Jerry Robin

• 1. Re: iBeacon hardware recommendations?
          JimmyCox

In our testing we've found BlueCats to be pretty good.

http://bluecats.com/

• 2. Re: iBeacon hardware recommendations?
            CarlSchwarz

JerryRobin wrote:

so I'm looking for beacons that will be easy to identify from FileMaker Go on an iPad even if 2 or 3 machines are within a few feet of each other.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

- Jerry Robin

Note that the closer that you are to a beacon the more accurate your signal strength and hence range estimation is.  The more beacons you have the better chance you have of estimating your location correctly.  The further you are from the beacon the more the range estimation can be wildly wrong.  Within 5 meters gives quite a good range estimation, the last 1-2 meters estimation is the best.

Be careful of interference with placement, if something is blocking the line of sight from the beacon to the iPad then it will seem further away, human bodies included.

I manufacture Bluetooth tags so if you want more information let me know, my beacons are more expensive so you probably don't want to buy them in your case but they are fully customisable for size, battery life, and level of ruggedness/waterproofness.

1 of 1 people found this helpful