JoeSand

portal updating in a shared file

Discussion created by JoeSand on Jun 5, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 5, 2017 by JoeSand

I just ran across a problem that resulted in me accidentally overcharging a customer!  I have a Repair Order solution that has Repair Order records, and each repair order has a portal containing line items... same thing as the typical invoice solution.  The Repair Order then has calculation fields that sum up the line items... parts, labor, sales tax, total, etc. via their relationship.

First, I've noticed that changing numbers in line items doesn't necessarily pass on to the totals, even after pressing "enter."  I can click in the individual fields causing them to update one at a time, or I can refresh the window.  Since this database is shared on a second computer, I watched what the other computer does when I modify a portal field, and find that all the totals update right away, but the computer I'm using doesn't!  I also found that if I delete a portal row on one computer it doesn't necessarily show on the shared computer until I make any change within the portal of this second computer. 

Some of this behavior seem random, or at least I haven't discovered exactly how to duplicate all these things every time.  Any idea what's going on?  I thought that maybe my habit of using un-stored calculations might be at fault, but probably because I'm using sums of related fields in most of these calculation FM won't have it any other way.

I'd hate to have to include a "refresh window" triggered by exiting every portal field (or at least the ones with numbers) ...

Outcomes