5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 2:20 AM by mz5005

Install On Timer problem

mz5005

We want to send our customers an email, but from the email address of their account manager (personal signature etc) and we want to automate that process.

To prevent any spam problems when we send out a large amount of mail, we want to use On Timer to have a delay between the sending of the different mail batches. The mailing script to be used by On Timer is being determined by memvars, like

The problem now occurs when you want to activate the Install On Timer because you need to "point to" a script.

How can I solve this?

Thanks for your input!

• 1. Re: Install On Timer problem
          Johan Hedman

Better to use a API towards a email service then trying to make FileMaker a email pusher. Most likely your are going to black listed on many mail servers and therefore your users would not get your email.

On Timer Script can bet set to a script that have no script steps.

• 2. Re: Install On Timer problem
            CarlSchwarz

Are you using a loop? It seems like you want the "Pause" script step, rather than on timer.

• 3. Re: Install On Timer problem
              mz5005

Thanks Johan, Carl for your input.

@ Johan: we spend a lot of time of checking our mails in spam-checkers etc so we are not too worried about that, especially because we are alsoa s mall company and not sending out thousands of mails.

@Carl:

Yes it is a loop: the script selects the right account to mail from, the right emails for this customer set etc.

Part of the script:

Regardless of how it has been set up now.... how else could I achieve the

- send a batch now

- wait some time

- send next batch

Check system time and add time? But then how do I activate the right Sending script on that time?

(every senders email has a separate SendMail script)

• 4. Re: Install On Timer problem
                CarlSchwarz

mz5005 wrote:

Thanks Johan, Carl for your input.

Regardless of how it has been set up now.... how else could I achieve the

- send a batch now

- wait some time

- send next batch

Just put a Pause in your loop.  If you want to send 10 at a time then set a variable and increment it by one each loop, on the 10th loop pause the script and reset the variable.

Do you have server? You could use a server schedule to send the email.

You shouldn't be using "Install on timer" or a long pause on a FileMaker client to send an email because the install on timer script is going to interrupt the user when it runs, and pause is just going to pause the client.

• 5. Re: Install On Timer problem
                  mz5005

ah that's a good idea Carl, didn't know that Pause script step. let me work on that. thanks!