georgej

Summary fields - client or server - speed

Discussion created by georgej on Jun 6, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 by CarlSchwarz

In a financial application I am summarising unbilled time in a matter record (law practice).  I have a summary field in the time database totalling all unbilled time but when working remotely it is incredibly slow as each matter in a client record pulls the data from the time database.  I am running FMPS.  The summary fields are viewed as single fields on a layout and also as multiple records in a portal.

What is going to be quickest way to get the data, given that I am running FMPS?  I can use the traditional relationship way to view the summary field in the matter layout but that pulls down every record from the time database, I believe, to then summarise the data on the client. 

All I need is the total so how do I in effect get FMPS to do the summary calculation and just send the total? 

I am moving over to SQL queries so as to cut down on the ridiculous number of relationships I have.  Would an SQL query avoid the need to pull down all the data or is the query once again run out of the client so all the data has to be downloaded.

This isn't an issue when on an internal network but working via a VPN on a slow connection makes the solution almost unusable.  Either that or I have to sacrifice a data rich layout. 

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Outcomes