8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2017 7:35 AM by jormond

Cannot Format Grouped Objects

tamalellama

FMPA 16

Windows 10

Description: If you select a field in layout mode and convert it to a button (i.e. to "goto related") or if you group fields together or labels together, you cannot change the style/font/font size/color/or decoration of the objects in the group without ungrouping the objects or individually selecting each one in the Layout Objects panel. This can be extremely tedious in maintaining legacy applications which do not utilize custom themes and styles, but which have myriad fields which are already goto related buttons (and hence part of a group).

Workaround: Change these settings before grouping. I haven't tried applying a custom style and then changing the style, but I assume that might work. If you have too many fields already grouped as their individual buttons, you have to perform these edits in FileMaker 15.

• 1. Re: Cannot Format Grouped Objects
          beverly

No, you should use the Layout Objects dialog with FM16 to edit grouped objects.

Beverly

• 2. Re: Cannot Format Grouped Objects
            tamalellama

Try creating a layout with fields from 20 related tables. Then create a button out of each of those 20 fields to go to the related record on a different layout. Then decide that the font needs to change. Time yourself as you expand each group and pick each field in the Layout Object panel, select the font drop down and repeat. Do the same thing in FM15: drag-select all fields, select font dropdown, done. The answer is 20 times faster.

Layout Objects is a nice tool, but it should not come at the cost of prior functionality. I think that's the only "should" here.

FileMaker has a bad history of adding or changing functionality (i.e. you used to be able to move multiple selected objects to a left-right/top-bottom position without all of the objects getting stacked on top of each other, now you have to group them, move them, and ungroup them).

• 3. Re: Cannot Format Grouped Objects
              hschlossberg

beverly wrote:

No, you should use the Layout Objects dialog with FM16 to edit grouped objects.

Bev, the problem is that the Layout Objects Explorer is the easiest fastest primary way to update formatting on a single button in 16.  But doing so on multiple buttons at a time is currently impossible using either Layout Objects or the old, simpler method.

Howard

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Cannot Format Grouped Objects
                Benjamin Fehr

Would mean the LOE needs improvements to allow assigning formats, HideObjectWhen, ConditionalGraphicFormatting, etc. not only on the single object (lowest level) but also on every superior level such as groups, portals, Tab Control, Slide Control, …

Means also that a single object would have attributes of its own AND attributes of any superior element.

I think I must have missed that lesson at the "Draco University"

• 5. Re: Cannot Format Grouped Objects
                  Fred(CH)

tamalellama a écrit:

Layout Objects is a nice tool, but it should not come at the cost of prior functionality. I think that's the only "should" here.

Maybe you could give your vote here :

Please adopt a 'prohibit regression' policy

Fred

• 6. Re: Cannot Format Grouped Objects
                    beverly

Phase One, Howard. Repeat after me: Phase One!

Put the request in for greater control of multiple objects in this wonderous new "Palette". Better yet, more CSS control of objects, such that the Cascade actually means something in CSS. Or in addtion...

A wise person (efficientbizz ) says "LOE needs improvements".

Beverly

• 7. Re: Cannot Format Grouped Objects
                      hschlossberg

I hear ya, Bev: Phase One!  I'm sure FM17 and 18 will bring many improvements.  16v2 or v3 may or may not fix anything here that FMI considers a "bug".  All I'm saying (trying to say) is that in the meanwhile I still find myself with what I find is a necessary workaround, which is opening 15 many times a day to work around the slowness and many other problems with 16's LOE.  (This is despite the new FBA agreement I have yet to sign that prohibits any downgrade licensing.)

Howard

• 8. Re: Cannot Format Grouped Objects
                        jormond

If you are changing formatting, this is where themes really help you the most.

Secondly, filter that Layout Object list. You can click, select, and change all the fields very quickly. This is significantly faster and easier than it was in 15 and earlier.

As wimdecorte pointed out in another thread...there will be a little pain with using the Layout Object list, at first. But after a few days, and a bit of relearning/retraining our hands/brains, it will become easier and faster to use the Object list.