1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 1:24 PM by bigtom

Importing Excel records spanning multiple rows

sergiog

Hello,

I have a long list of Contacts in Excel format that I want to import into FileMaker.

The main problem is that each record span over multiple rows (up to 20 rows in same cases) and when importing into FM, each row will be considered a single record

Creating new fields for each "lang 1" / "lang 2" is not a vible option as besides being very time consuming it will result in an extremely long row

The original Excel table looks something like this:

Vendor NameLang 1
      Lang 2ServiceRate
      Jonh DoeEnglishChineseA$1.0
      ChineseEnglishB

$2.5

FrenchEnglishC$1.00
      ItalianEnglishA
      Pierre DupontEnglishFrenchB
      Russian FrenchA
      GermanFrenchD

To complicate matters further, the table contains a variety of merged cells...

Is there any "easy" or logical way to accomplish this without having to modify every single record manually?

My knowlege on FM, and DB in general, is rather limited.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Importing Excel records spanning multiple rows
          bigtom

The import should keep all the rows in order. From there you can do a loop script starting from the first record and set the vendor name with the name of the previous record unless it is not empty. Then you would set the next record to the new vendor name.

After the initial import you would script creation of vendor records in a table and then script creation of the related records in a service table.

Merged fields... I don't know how FM handles those. I would have to try it out.

Not a super instant process but faster than doing it manually and you have to script the table creation for related records anyway.

1 of 1 people found this helpful