12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 7:13 PM by bigtom

FM Advance Standalone Conversion

tleitzke

I recently got FM Pro 16 Advance, and I want to make several apps standalone. I watched a video on it, ant it worked fine. But is there a way to make the "install" process easier for users? It creates a folder with loads of extra files the user should probably not mess with- and I doubt that I could make it all a single .exe file to run from and place anywhere. I am also not a fan of the final closing box after closing the window (rather, it should open when the window first opens). I am very new to the advanced tools, and could not find much on exactly what I would think I need (which I do not know).

In the process, I do know I should (and do) hide all tool bars and such that could make someone ruin the file some way or another.

This is a rather open question, but I am looking for information on how I can better finalize an app and make it standalone.

• 1. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
          bigtom

Please note that Runtimes (standalone) are deprecated and will eventually stop working with future OSs.

you can control the install with an installer application. Look into that.

• 2. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
            tleitzke

How else can I make my apps stand alone to not require Filemaker's expensive install for my technicians' usage?

• 3. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
              TKnTexas55

It is not that they will stop working with the OS, it is that future Filemaker Pro versions will no longer be able to create new one.  So, a runtime created with Filemaker 17 may still be running on Windows 12 when Filemaker 20 is the current version.  

This is how I understood it. 

• 4. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
                planteg

Well what bigtom said is right... well 50% right:

• Windows is quite forgiving for old applications, most of the time they can run on newer versions of Windows through the compatibility settings
                • The same is not true with Mac OS, where putting great effort for old applications compatibility is not a concern
                • 5. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
                  tleitzke

So I am fairly safe then since all the computers in use are Windows.

• 6. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
                    planteg

For some time yes. Runtime is deprecated, that means some time in the future it will re removed from FMPA. But note that the Runtimes is not enhanced anymore, for example you can't take advantage of new functionalities in 16. The message is still go away from Runtime. Thing is nobody know if it will be replaced by something equivalent and when. Many thinks it will not be replaced.

• 7. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
                      bigtom

What is expensive about FMP?

Runtimes for multiple techs sounds scary. Centralized networked data with FMP sounds better.

Updating Runtimes is also a project in itself.

• 8. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
                        steveromig

Thomas Hill wrote:

It is not that they will stop working with the OS, it is that future Filemaker Pro versions will no longer be able to create new one. So, a runtime created with Filemaker 17 may still be running on Windows 12 when Filemaker 20 is the current version.

This is how I understood it.

That is correct.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
                          tleitzke

Being a freekin expensive $330, the office has 3 copies (pro 15, not advanced. I personally have fmp16 advance on my personal computer), and that is all we can afford. The office is already spending $3,000 for office expansion and a new computer because there is limited room for all the office workers working (4 people).

I need devices like runtime/standalone due to these expensive prices of installs. We only have 1 app that currently needs network-like database connections, which is hosted locally over the network. But with an upgrade costing an extra $900 (because they are all filemaker 15 pro, and not 16 pro- even though 1 was purchased about 3 weeks before FMP16 released, without my knowledge of a new version coming out).

I do want the extra functionalities that FMP16 has, such as actual floating windows and card window popups, due to how well it will generally help out in the office work flow.

(btw, this update is very physically small to me, and feels like it should have JUST been an update, and not a new version- mostly because we have to pay for the needed upgrade, which will be the exact same cost as original purchase).

• 10. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
                            planteg

tleitzke,

what kind of business are you in, services, distribution or other ?

• 11. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
                              bigtom

There are options to get FMP at very reasonable prices. Outright purchase of FMP is not always the best way for many businesses for many reasons.

How many technicians do you have that need FM?

FM16 is well worth it and warrants a new release.

You may check with FMI (if purchased directly) about getting an upgrade to 16 for the copy purchased 3 weeks prior to the new release. I recall they may have a 30 day window as a courtesy.

• 12. Re: FM Advance Standalone Conversion
                                bigtom

BTW the upgrade from Pro15 to Pro16 is only $197. Advanced is $329.