14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2017 1:08 PM by gofmp15

Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans

lkeyes

Could some kind soul confirm the following:

1. FM 16 does not support boolean data types. 

2. FM 16 does not allow radio buttons and checkbox sets to formatted so they are vertical rather than horizontal. 

Thanks.  --- L

• 1. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
          user19752

Both are not implemented yet.

Number type can be used as boolean (with field validation), do you have some problems?

• 2. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
            planteg

Regarding your question number one, there is a single number type which is number. That can be an integer as well as floating point number. As it's the case with some programming languages, 'false' is 0, 'true' is any other number.

If you wish to manage a number as a boolean, then you may use the FileMaker words true and false, instead of 0 and one. This emphasizes the nature of that field or variable.

• 3. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
              bigtom

1. FM 16 does not support boolean data types.

I prefer to use a number field. I use 0 and any number other than 0 (but usually 1) to create a boolean field.

2. FM 16 does not allow radio buttons and checkbox sets to formatted so they are vertical rather than horizontal.

Vertical formatting is possible like this:

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.07.29 AM.png

• 4. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
                gofmp15

This is one of many shortcomings that FileMaker won't address for over 25 years.

However, if this is an absolute need in one isolated instance, there is a way.

Use ONE radio button or checkbox for one value. This would lead to a number of individual radio buttons.

Let O be the radio button.  then you'd have o o o o o o or here 6 different unique radio buttons.

Now, create your vertical text labels and match them to your radio buttons.

Now create a script that you apply to each radio button (not editable) with each button performing the script with a parameter for its number.

YOur script then becomes something like

If the parameter is 1

set button 1 to 1 else set button 1 to ""

Do this for each button. You can write a loop for this...

Not the happiest of ideas but if you must have vertical labels and horizontal buttons, this works.

Of course once perfected you can copy the idea and modify it for later use.

A second crazy idea would be to use graphics, one for each of the radio button highlights, and swap out the graphics on your layout. You can overlay the container with a button for each radio button to trigger the swap.

The first idea is very simple to implement and I might do a file illustrating this...

• 5. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
                  user19752

Hmm, I misrecall from OP's question. Radio/checkbox is shown as "down first"

so it can be done as you did.

I thought it is "across first" then OP can't format it vertically with 2 or more columns...

Anyway there is no change on FM16, this maybe correct I hope...

• 6. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
                    bigtom

gofmp15 The screenshot I posted shows vertical checkboxes and radios as single objects. No need for multiple objects or scripts. It has been working this way for me since I started with FM12.

Just because it auto formats to horizontal does not mean it has to stay that way.

• 7. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
                      bigtom

user19752 wrote:

Radio/checkbox is shown as "down first"

The default is vertical down-first. You can get multiple rows but always down-first.

It is odd as when inserting a new field with the default width it appears as across-first horizontal, but if you stretch the field object out to a large size you see the default is vertical down-first.

• 8. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
                        user19752

bigtom , I'm not sure this is what OP want, but gofmp15 may be saying about this with "vertical text labels"

I use rotated field to show screen capture, so this is not usable. when tying to change value, it become "Unrotated" as

• 9. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
                          gofmp15

Here's how I made the vertical radio buttons using FileMaker radio buttons only. I had to create one value list for each button and the value in the list is the label.

The script will use the parameter to evaluate each radio button which has been formatted as a button performing the script with its value.

Vertical Radio Buttons.PNG

Each rb is an individual field formatted as a radio button and assigned one of the value lists below. Then the fields are rotated. Each field is formatted as a button performing the script below. Be sure to set the fields as non-enterable.

Vertical Buttons List.PNG

Each button performs the script below passing its desired value as the parameter.

A simple script:

If get(scriptparameter) = "Blue Fish"

set rb1 to "Blue Fish"

else

set rb2 to ""

end if

If get(scriptparameter) = "White Tiger"

set rb6 to "White Tiger"

else

set rb6 to ""

end if

Glad I could help... 

• 10. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
                            bigtom

Vertical labels needs to be done like this, yes. OP has both things to consider now depending on what he meant.

• 11. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
                              gofmp15

It works just fine with English text, as I showed. Using a vertical font as shown here could produce a different result, of course. My example was from an actual screen with the buttons assigned as described and then rotated... So it works in English.

I tweeted a bit clearer example:

Jack Rodgers on Twitter: "Horizontal Radio Buttons in Filemaker Pro https://t.co/xwexLMSZCj https://t.co/CN2Kim8aAk"

• 12. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
                                lkeyes

Thanks all for the ideas.  I've been working FM since version 4 ....with a gap between 4-11 and then with every version since 11 and there is always hope.  :-)  But I've been using the tricks suggested in this thread.  Also, thanks for the simple formatting reminder.... now my RB's are indeed vertical. 

Between having to define global fields, and doing data type conversions,  the hassle for creating simple dialog boxes hasn't gotten any better...   Maybe the FM developers could take a peak at, say, Visual Studio?  

• 13. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
                                  philmodjunk

the hassle for creating simple dialog boxes hasn't gotten any better...

I disagree. Popovers make very nice and easy to set up dialog boxes. With 16, we gain cards as yet another option.

• 14. Re: Vertical Radio Buttons & Booleans
                                    gofmp15

Think of a dialog box as a Form layout and not just what you see as the dialog...

FileMaker has lagged behind about 20 years in the various windows we can display. I've used better windows in other applications.

However, in the last two versions or so it has added popovers and now better window controls with New Window in 16. The card option offers what you are looking for or the modal window.

Here's a sample of how to create a dialog with the 16 New Window...

Card Helpline.PNG

As usual there is a  slight problem in that the close box isn't showing in GO 16 so I have to add a button.

The layout can be as long as you wish and you can swipe up and down. Add buttons on the layout for new record, find, etc.