3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2017 2:31 AM by bigtom

How to deploy multiple apps for different companies

pietergorisio

Dear all,

Hi,

Last year I got into FM to help out a friend. I build him an application that could track his clients, products, stock and invoices.

After a while it became more stable and more expanded.

Now I'm getting the question from other companies to deploy the same application to them.

Question: How do I do that properly?

Needed:

- between 5 and 10 companies will run a somewhat similar app (started from the same basic structure) all adapted to their own needs. Own logo, colours, reporting.

- Every app is used by mostly 1 person in their company + myself for updates and dev work.

- Every app will have it's own data. (own products, clients, etc etc)

- I want to be able to connect to the same data they are connected too without having to go to their local machine. (I can't go across the entire country to fix a calculation field for example)

- They can't see each others app.

How do I do this best?

Can I put everything into one AWS cloud with 10 users, or onto 1 single server license with 10 users.

What else is needed? They all need a Filemaker Pro license (single use) locally to connect to the server?

Many many thanks for your 2 cents, your ideas and input.

I'm still fresh in this so excuse the newbie questions.

Best regards,

Pieter

• 1. Re: How to deploy multiple apps for different companies
          pietergorisio

Anyone who can explain me a bit how this server thingy works? I'm lost in space and need urgent help in this matter if possible.

Many many thanks,

Much appreciated.

• 2. Re: How to deploy multiple apps for different companies
            bigtom

Many ways to do this. One thing is for certain that you will need FM Server.

You first need to evaluate how the basic of your deployment will work:

• Will your clients purchase the developed solution from you outright?
            • Will clients have Full Access accounts? (Usually a bad idea)
            • Will your clients license access to use the solution that you provide on your server (SaaS...this is likely the best)

If your clients purchase outright it would be best to work with a hosting company that can help you. As things are now since FM15 separate clients need their own server license and that gets costly on many fronts especially for smaller offices.

If you decide to use the SaaS model you could redesign a few things so that all companies log into the same file on one server. Time spent on data security and record access, but it is certainly possible and many companies do this. Cheaper to run and centralized single server.

Do not underestimate the cost of maintenance and support!

As far as servers go you would need a decent cloud server. There are companies out there that specialize in FM hosting. PointInSpace and FMPHost are two place to start looking at if you do not want to dive into running the server on your own. AWS and Virmach have decent VPSs that will support FMS. FileMaker Cloud is also another option, but it is not fully featured. The upside is that FMC runs are less hardware so costs are lower.

• 3. Re: How to deploy multiple apps for different companies
              bigtom

The server hosts the FM file so other access it remotely over the internet or LAN. It is very stable and provides for automated backups of the data files.