7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2017 10:30 AM by fmpdan

FM16 and ESS Issue

fmpdan

I am able to reproduce this on multiple occasions now. I have a Filemaker 16 application that is primarily a front end of ESS tables. MS SQL server. Working with a simple users table throughout the day. Periodically it seems to lose track of some of the records. Doing a hard refresh has no effect. Yesterday the all record set went from 9-7. No one else is in the file. Doing a find for one of the missing records still, shows nothing. Opening up the same application in 15 on the same machine and all the records are there. Quit 16 and open it again and the full set is back.

This has not happen before with 14 or 15. The MSSQL server is 2005 we are going ot upgrade this soemtime this summer. But I am not sure that this issue is realted ot the sever. We have the latest drive for that SQl server installed.

The wai I read the support docs for version it seems like this should work as it did in 15.

Which ODBC data sources/drivers are supported with External SQL Data Sources? | FileMaker

• 1. Re: FM16 and ESS Issue
          TSGal

fmpdan:

Thank you for your post.

I first noticed Microsoft SQL Server 2005.  From the ODBC data sources document you linked (Knowledge Base Article #6420), FileMaker Pro 15 is only supported with MS SQL Server 2008 R2, MS SQL Server 2012, and MS SQL Server 2012 SP1.  The supported driver is MS SQL Server Native Client 11.0.2270.0 (32-bit and 64-bit).  FileMaker Pro 16 is only supported with MS SQL Server 2014 and MS SQL Server 2016.  The supported driver is MS ODBC driver 13.1.

Continue to perform the restarting of FileMaker Pro 16 when you get an invalid record count until you update to a supported system.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FM16 and ESS Issue
            Jean-Francois

Hi,

I have the same exact problem, fmpdan couldn't explained it better.

Only difference:

Server is FMS14 on a Win 2012r2 with MSSQL 2008r2

Everybody run FM14 and I also have that installed (FMA14).

I installed the FMA16 on a win7x64.

On the FMA14 no issue, on the FMA16 I have the problem, missing records, unreliable data (mix and match from FM data and SQL don't match).

I close the FMA16 and reload the file, all data is back and normal.

So the problem with FMA16 not supporting the SQL version of fmpdan is this on the server side or on the user side ?

As I have the minimal SQL requirement for FMS14, but run FMA16 and it's not compatible with 2008r2... where is the SQL request generated on the server or user side ?

If it's on the server side, well FM16 definitely have a problem of connection and data over the network between FMS14.

I would think that the SQL request is on the server side, as I never configure any ODBC on the station running FM and on FMGo and webaccess no SQL connection is required...

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• 3. Re: FM16 and ESS Issue
              TSGal

Jean-Francois (and fmpdan):

There does appear to be an issue where the cache file is becoming out of sync and displaying information from incorrect records from External Data Sources (SQL Server, MySQL).  Deleting the cache file or restarting FileMaker Pro appears to fix the issue.  The main concern is that how does the user know the data is incorrect?

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue and are investigating the cause.  I have added both of your posts to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM16 and ESS Issue
                Jean-Francois

Hi,

Thanks,

The user (in my case it's only me, as other still use FM14) will notice that some record are missing by doing a search.

I have around 17,000 customer records I run both FMA14 and FMA16 on my PC, as I test the FMA16, both use the same FMS14 file.

I do a search with 2 options: Script that all user use or ctrl+f, I enter information that I know are good, and no result found.

Switch to FMA14, same search, record find. Restart FM16 same search, it's working.

The mismatch data from FM data and SQL data in a report with related value are discover by looking at data that we know of and don't match... but for another user, them may never know!

Also the total number of record sometime don't match from 14 to 16

Also a post from Oliver_Reid describe issues that I notice happening in my case.

--A portal shows rows that do not meet the relationship spec.

--A calculation based on related fields retrieves data from the wrong row(s) in the related table

Thanks,

• 5. Re: FM16 and ESS Issue
                  TSGal

fmpdan and Jean-Francois:

Testing has asked if customers are still experiencing this issue with FileMaker 16.0.2.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM16 and ESS Issue
                    Jean-Francois

Hi,

On my side, the SQL missing data problem is fixed.

But I couldn't explained why, Filemaker data only,

--A calculation based on related fields retrieves data from the wrong row(s) in the related table

Or return no data at all as being experienced,

I have a field A that is used to link to another table and I use that to print data of require material for job spec... well I've being using it for years (originally from FM7 or 12) and it work like a charm... and I notice on FM16v2 that the related data is not showing (actually it append twice). Since FM12 that portal also use a filter (using related data). Like I said, it work for years, now the filter inside that portal return O instead of 1 ?!?!

I tried many edit, delete data and the result is always nothing... I close FM, come back the next day, run the same script, bang! data is now showing.

Since I don't use that report function in the office and the user that used it run FM14, it work everytime, last week he's on vacation so I took over and I'm printing those report...

I will investigate more and get back at you with it as it's not all the time.

• 7. Re: FM16 and ESS Issue
                      fmpdan

Yes, It seems to be fixed by the latest release.

1 of 1 people found this helpful