2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 6:42 PM by Philip_Jaffe

New to filemaker - How do I stop finds resetting the found sets?

wingmann

I've got a script that has 4 searches for different fields in all my records if the corresponding search field is not empty.

The searches work fine when only 1 has data at a time, but if I enter both Name and Age, only fields matching the Age will be found and the Name query will be ignored.

How can I make it so the fields don't show all records and thereby wipe the previous search's results?

• 1. Re: New to filemaker - How do I stop finds resetting the found sets?
          philmodjunk

Every layout in your file is based on a table occurrence. That's what we call the "boxes" in your relationship graph. Every table occurrence has exactly one found set for a given window open in your solution. One found set, one current record, one sort order. If you have multiple layouts based on the same table occurrence, each will share that found set, current record and sort order. Open a new window and select a layout and you get a set of found sets independent from those in the first window. Take a table occurrence box, duplicate it and base a layout on it and you also get a found set independent of that seen on layouts based on the original table occurrence and this time you have them in the same window.

But since you are new to FileMaker, you might first explain in more detail what you are trying to do. You could, for example get a single found set of all records with a specified name AND a specified age. you can also get a single found set of records of all records with a specified name OR a specified age. If you want either of those, you don't need extra windows nor extra table occurrences, you just need to correctly set up the criteria for your find.

Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New to filemaker - How do I stop finds resetting the found sets?
            Philip_Jaffe

To do an "and" find, set all the needed search criteria into the appropriate fields then perform the find.  It sounds like you are doing 4 separate finds, which would of course supersede any previous find results.