9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2017 3:54 PM by alternapop

What is the official way to manage favorite hosts?

dburnham

I have a list of favorite hosts that includes some that no longer exist.   I would like to delete them.

In FileMaker 16, the Manage Favorites menu command is gone.

Removing the "star" that makes a remote host a favorite does nothing but shift its position in the list of hosts.

QUESTION:  How does one delete a favorite host? 

• 1. Re: What is the official way to manage favorite hosts?
          William-Porter

Dennis,

After removing the "star", did you try closing the Launch Center and then reopening it?

Will

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is the official way to manage favorite hosts?
            HazMatt

I too noticed that Manage Favorites was gone in 16.  Closing and re-opening the Launch Center got rid of my un-favorite; thanks, William-Porter.

Why can't we just get minus sign ( — ) next to the plus sign ( + ) at the bottom left?  Select the favorite you no longer want > minus sign lights up > click it > selected favorite disappears.

These sneaky ways of doing things (closing / re-opening Launch Center) are annoying.

• 3. Re: What is the official way to manage favorite hosts?
              dburnham

I so strongly agree with what you say about a minus sign.   It's so obviously missing, it would be so intuitive, so simple.

I don't know what motivates designers and engineers to eliminate things like this with a view toward greater sophistication. 

For many years and many versions, many people became accustomed to using the Network File Path.  I use it myself when I don't want to create a host but I have a need to access a file on an ad-hoc basis.   If I didn't know that it's now buried inside a "gear" icon, I would conclude that it no longer exists.  In a rectangle above the footer and to the right of the gear there could be a Network File Path field with the words Network File Path appearing like placeholder text in a FileMaker field.  It wouldn't be any less elegant than Open Remote is now and easier to use.

• 4. Re: What is the official way to manage favorite hosts?
                bigtom

It does get increasingly difficult to manage favorites with each new version.

In FM16 is is absolutely counter intuitive. Use File>Open Favorite (because that makes total sense). Then select the favorite and then click the Remove button.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: What is the official way to manage favorite hosts?
                  dburnham

Thanks for pointing this out, Will.   I remember that someone at FileMaker gave me that advice many months ago.   What is it about me that I am unable to remember such a thing?    Could it be that I expect the user interface to be intuitive?  I know I'm being sarcastic here, but this is the point I'm trying to make.

Scenario #1

Let's suppose you are my client and you hire me to work on your system remotely.   Your server is a host in my Launch Center, regardless of whether it's a favorite or not, it persists in appearing as long as I'm online and so is your server.   But after a period of time, you come to dislike me and you hire someone else or you manage all future development without any outside help.  I no longer need or want to see your server in my list of Hosts.   Making it an un-favorite won't remove it because the network connection detects it.

Scenario #2 (sort of the opposite)

I have your server as a Host with its WAN IP address or host name in my iMac at my desk, and I have the same server in the Launch Center of my laptop, but using your LAN IP instead, so that when I arrive at your office for our weekly lunch meeting (because you like me and you always buy lunch) I am able to access the server.   However, I happened to delete my FileMaker preferences last week, and now all my Hosts have vanished, so when I arrive for lunch I have to ask you:  "what's the IP address of your server?" and I can read the expression on your face when you're thinking:  "You jerk, why did you misplace it, and now we have to go find the IT manager to get that, and she's on vacation this week, so now you're buying our lunch today."

• 6. Re: What is the official way to manage favorite hosts?
                    dburnham

You're right.  I did not realize that Open Favorite is no longer a list of favorite files, it's now a mixture of favorite hosts and favorite files.  And if you don't cleverly name them accordingly, you don't easily see which is which.   A divider between hosts and files would be useful.

When you're looking at a favorite host, there is a Remove button.    Thanks for pointing that out.

• 7. Re: What is the official way to manage favorite hosts?
                      bigtom

I never give hosts a favorite name anymore. Most hostnames are descriptive enough.

• 8. Re: What is the official way to manage favorite hosts?
                        William-Porter

I'm doing the same as @bigtom: I just remember my host names. But I acknowledge readily this might not work for a lot of other developers who have more hosts to remember than I do.

• 9. Re: What is the official way to manage favorite hosts?
                          alternapop

Thanks for this solution! Another example of a mindless UI.