5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 6:42 AM by beverly

Portal(s) scrolling

pbqc

Hi all and thank you in advance for your help,

I have these 4 portals on a layout (see attached picture) They are representing time slots at 15 minutes interval.  (from 9:00 am to 21:45 pm) for a given site. Each portal displays 23 records of a possible 52 and of course I can scroll each one to see all time slots.

BUT my user is asking for a feature I don't know if I can do it. He wants the scrolling to be sync between all 4 portals so that if he scrolls one portal, all four will show the same time slots.

Is this possible in FileMaker ?

I don"t know where to start, I am not a newbie, but far from an expert.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Pierre

• 1. Re: Portal(s) scrolling
          Johan Hedman

You can not have scrolling in four portals at the same time. If you want to have it scroll at the same time you need to have all data in one portal

• 2. Re: Portal(s) scrolling
            pbqc

Thank you Johan. I was afraid that this would be the answer.

• 3. Re: Portal(s) scrolling
              averyswellidea

You might be able to make a script where if the user picks a row in one portal, the other 3 portals select the same row which might bring them into view.  It's not quite the same but it would achieve the result of being able to compare the same data in all 4 portals at the same time. -Amos

• 4. Re: Portal(s) scrolling
                erolst

One idea is to use a utility table (or even a batch of repeating fields) that give(s) you a filtered display of the real data.

"Scrolling" then would be to move the view, i.e. bring other records into view by having the display records/fields change their contents or (better) reference other records.

This is actually a method you'll find often with calendars or schedules because it means you don't have to create a slot for every day for every day of the year.

Just create a daily / weekly / monthly template that defines itself via user-selectable parameters, then looks up and/or displays the actually existing records/entries for events / appointments etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Portal(s) scrolling
                  beverly

This is pretty much how some of the portal "tricks" work. The scroll is scripted, such that changing one portal will also change the other portal(s). You may be able to find some of these examples here or elsewhere with your favorite search engine.

Go to Portal Row

Beverly