7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 2:39 AM by bigtom

Old FM Db file change password when FM updated

RobbWright

I've gone through the various password discussions, none of which yielded any great epiphany so I'm not terribly hopeful on this one, but I'm not sure what to do, or how it happened. Years ago in FM v5 I created an ADR database for dialog editors, and set it up with a password so users couldn't alter the layouts. When I later updated it to FM v7, I noticed after a while that the password no longer worked. At the time I was very busy and needed only the existing layouts anyway, so I let it ride, intending to troubleshoot it later.

Fast forward to 2017 and I now need to change it up. The original file won't open in any of the more recent FM versions, and I no longer have FM v5 anywhere, though I believe I still have a physical install disk for v6 somewhere (remember those?). I'm trying to get a hold of an external DVD drive to install it somewhere (I'm on OSX), but I'm not sure if it's going to get past this strange password change. I definitely no longer have access to the computer on which it was created, but I think it might predate the Mac Keychain anyway. I have tried the Admin-with-blank-password option, no deal I'm afraid. I don't need any of the data, so if there's a way I can just save the layouts and allow new ones I'd be quite happy. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Old FM Db file change password when FM updated
          Stephen Huston

Do you know the old password?

if so, try entering it in BOTH the account Name and account Password areas at once to log in.

another idea

I believe the older v4 or v5 equivalent of the layer DDR would actually expose the old-style passwords (but you may have had to run it with full access). Been a decade since I last used it for that.

• 2. Re: Old FM Db file change password when FM updated
            philmodjunk

Plus 1 on that. And try different capitalization patterns. The original password was not case sensitive, but it is now.

• 3. Re: Old FM Db file change password when FM updated
              greatgrey

The problem is probably that it is wanting the user name from the copy of FM it was made with.

so if it was made on FM with a user name of "John D Doe" and you current user name is "John Doe" it won't work.

• 4. Re: Old FM Db file change password when FM updated
                Markus Schneider

You can't install FM6 on today's OSX.

If You have a VM (parallels, VMWare) with a Windows System, You can install FM6 there and check the files

under FM6 and older, there was only a password, no account name. During the conversion from .fp5 to .fp7, the account name was created - exactly the same as the password

You can leave the account name empty, just typing in the passwd. In some dialogs, both are required - enter in both the same...

the DDR will show accounts - therefore chances are good to find that

if You have set up an auto-login, just use the 'alt' or 'option' key while opening a db file - until the account/passw dialog appears

On a new system, the account name (FileMaker) is set to the OS user. Just replace that (empty...). You can define that name in the preferences of FileMaker

• 5. Re: Old FM Db file change password when FM updated
                  RobbWright

Once again I'm blown away by the resourcefulness and generosity of the FM community. Thanks to all for the useful suggestions. I DO have the original password, but I wasn't sure I know the account name, but @MarkusScheider's info on <v7 files lacking account info makes sense - no wonder I couldn't remember it. I have tried to access the DDR, but of course I can't get in unless I have admin access. I have tried various change-ups to the upper/lower case pattern, no luck with that.

BUT, I was able to borrow a USB DVD drive, and I do have Windows 8.1 installed via Parallels, so I installed v6 of FM there (frank evans for dual-platform install disks). I booted the DB up and tried the password - voila, she works. I saved a password-free copy. Problem solved. Thanks again for all the help.

• 6. Re: Old FM Db file change password when FM updated
                    greatgrey

I forgot that when I converted a file with a password that I couldn't work with it until removed it and converted non password file, even though I had all the right info on user name and password. so you did what was needed even though we whom have be through it forget sometimes.

• 7. Re: Old FM Db file change password when FM updated
                      bigtom

RobbWright Don't forget to mark mschneider as having the correct answer.