AnsweredAssumed Answered

Old FM Db file change password when FM updated

Question asked by RobbWright on Jun 10, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 by bigtom

I've gone through the various password discussions, none of which yielded any great epiphany so I'm not terribly hopeful on this one, but I'm not sure what to do, or how it happened. Years ago in FM v5 I created an ADR database for dialog editors, and set it up with a password so users couldn't alter the layouts. When I later updated it to FM v7, I noticed after a while that the password no longer worked. At the time I was very busy and needed only the existing layouts anyway, so I let it ride, intending to troubleshoot it later.

Fast forward to 2017 and I now need to change it up. The original file won't open in any of the more recent FM versions, and I no longer have FM v5 anywhere, though I believe I still have a physical install disk for v6 somewhere (remember those?). I'm trying to get a hold of an external DVD drive to install it somewhere (I'm on OSX), but I'm not sure if it's going to get past this strange password change. I definitely no longer have access to the computer on which it was created, but I think it might predate the Mac Keychain anyway. I have tried the Admin-with-blank-password option, no deal I'm afraid. I don't need any of the data, so if there's a way I can just save the layouts and allow new ones I'd be quite happy. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Outcomes