AnsweredAssumed Answered

Upgraded from FM12/IWP to FM15 WebDirect - Very Frustrated

Question asked by fmckinnon on Jun 12, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 by Draco

Hey Gang,

I'm not a fan of change and avoid upgrades as long as possible but with all of us having more current versions of the Mac OS, we were forced to upgrade from our long-standing Filemaker 12 this past week.  

To give you some background:

Purpose:  we use our database for order entry for our ecommerce business.  Multiple staff work remotely so have used IWP via web browser.  Typical fields include date, marketplace (where item sold), PO#, amount of money receive, Vendor Name, Vendor COGS, etc.

Previously using FM12 and hosted on Triple8 servers.   The upgrade to 15 forced us to move to a new Triple8.net server that supported FM15 and of course, with FM15 we lost IWP in exchange for FileMaker WebDirect.

Now, I'm facing an all-out mutiny with my team because the IWP to WebDirect feels like a massive step BACKWARDS in efficiency and productivity.   Let me explain.  Keep in mind, these little things may seem petty, but multiple doing them 800-1000 times per day, and you'll understand the frustration.

I marked this as a question because although it's a vent, I'm hoping someone can give us some insight on fixing these issues.

First:  the "find" feature takes a little more work, extra clicks.  Instead of the old "Find" button in IWP that immediately launched find layout, now we have the "Enter Find Mode" or "Repeat Last Find" .. .this is just one extra click, but still a nuisance.   Filemaker support suggested I just add a button on my layout to go Find Mode, so hopefully, that's an easy fix.

Second:  this is the biggest pain point --- tabbing, and using the keyboard to select fields.

Let me explain:

We have two fields that are popup fields with pre-defined values.  Marketplace (which when you click on it, a popup menu with marketplaces like Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, BigCommerce, Shopify, etc) appears.  Then we have Vendor (which is a popup list of dozens and dozens of suppliers we purchase from, in alphabetical order).   Keeping this in mind, two big pain points are:

#1:  inability to tab to these fields.   The "marketplace" field is #2 in our tab order, but when you create a new record, the first field is "PO#" and then when you hit tab, it would go to "Marketplace" in IWP, but now, it doesn't.  

#2:  Inability to type a letter on the keyboard to "jump" to the corresponding value in the popup list. 

You know how when you fill out a web form and you get to "country" or "state" -- you start typing and hit enter?  That's how it worked with IWP as well.   But, these popup fields don't recognize any keyboard triggers.   So, it's extra mouse-clicking.   And on our vendor field, it's really time-consuming (keep in mind, yes, maybe 5-10 extra seconds, but multiplied by 1000 times per day).  For example, we have a few vendors that start with "X" and "Z".   My data entry clerk is used to tabbing to that field, typing the "x" on her keyboard, it selecting that vendor in the popup menu, and hitting "enter" to select it.  Now, she has to click the "down" arrow on the popup list 7 times before she can then see it and "click on it" with her mouse.

Friends, I realize this sounds petty, but it's really annoying over time.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Are there any suggestions on how to clean it up so that the popup fields can get tabbed to, and can easily select a value?   Is any of this fixed in V16?

Thanks for your help!
Fred

Outcomes