AnsweredAssumed Answered

Global fields, the correct choice?

Question asked by clayhendrix on Jun 12, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 by gofmp15

I use global fields for a variety of things, as I'm sure most of you do. However, I have a particular issue that makes me question whether I should use a global field for this specific reason.

The main project I work on is for a school. I use a global field to store the date of the first and last days of school. Those two global fields are used to calculate the age of students on the first and last days of school.

The db is hosted remotely and multiple users use the solution.

Everyday, the global fields are empty and the students' ago calculation is empty (because the global fields are empty). It's not a huge task to enter a few dates every morning, however, as the users have pointed out to me, the program does a lot of amazing things and it seems odd that each user has to re-enter the dates each day. I understand how global fields are specific to the user, but do wish I could find a solution that retained the data.

What is a solution that will allow the values for the dates of the first and last days of school to persist even after the file is closed for the night, but also allow the value to remain available to the calculation for ALL records (students)?

Outcomes