12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 1:50 PM by ScottBleackley

FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15

ScottBleackley

FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15

Reports error 802 unable to connect to File Maker Server Advanced

The server is does not have security checked for database interactions.

I would expect FMGo 16 to connect is the same database works with FMGo 15

Any work around for this would be helpful…

see existing discussionFMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15

• 1. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
          TSPigeon

ScottBleackley:

Thank you for your post!

Per your previous post, this is a FileMaker Server 16 host. SSL is disabled, though you mention it may be security related on your end. Is this a dedicated machine? Do you have SSL enabled on this machine in some manner outside of FileMaker Server?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
            ScottBleackley

This is a dedicated File Maker server, I don't believe there is any SSL enabled on this machine outside of the File Maker Server.   That is there are no other servers running on this hardware.  It is running current macOS 10.12.5 and this issue also showed with the previous version of the OS.

• 3. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
              TSPigeon

ScottBleackley:

I do have FileMaker Server 16.0.1 on MacOS 10.12. I am able to open a file with FileMaker Go 16 without issue.

-Do you have this issue with a New File on the host?

-Is there anything unique about the Name of the Database File? (non-alphanumeric, accented characters, etc.)

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
                ScottBleackley

Server db is named WQEE_Server

I am using PSOS from the client database to the db on the FM Server

In this case it is part of the EasySync suit, script "Ping" on the client

uses PSOS script "Respond to Ping" in the server db.

exactly the same db on FMGo 15 works with the same WQEE_Server on FM Server 16

does not work with FMGo 16.

• 5. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
                  ScottBleackley

Not completely certain that I have this right, but here is the current hypothesis

When I begin the process of syncing with the server I do Error Capture [ On ]

During my Sync Process I do a Ping Test as first contact with the server to verify connection.

Normally in FMGo 16, but not FMGo15, a Security Warning dialog is generated:

Filemaker Go can't verify the identity of xxx:5003.  Do you wan to connect to

this host?

Don't Connect

Connect

Always Permit Connection

So since I have error capture on I pickup error 802 "Unable to connect to the server"

and my sync will not work.

So, for the moment I created a small Ping Utility that has Error Capture [ Off ]

It displays the Security Warning and if I select "Always Permit Connection"
                  Then I can close the Ping Utility and Open the regular app and the sync works

fine.

Is there a more obvious way to achieve this without the ping utility?

Thank you,

• 6. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
                    ScottBleackley

How pre-set Dialog response for operations where errors are being caught and dialog does not appear.

It would be very helpful if there were some way to pre-set a variable that would be the equivalent of selecting "Always Permit Connection" or any of the other options in the Dialog.  Is there anyway to do this?

• 7. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
                      TSPigeon

ScottBleackley:

Thank you for this information.

I have found another case very similar to this. They were also using a sync script. They were able to work around the issue by Granting Full Access Privileges to the script. Can you test this Work Around?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
                        ScottBleackley

Hi TSPigeon,

In my test example, log in was default admin so all scripts were modifiable i.e.: full access

and the security dialog appeared as previously described.

From a practical point of view, in practice I cannot run the application as full access due to security and distribution issues.

It seems that once I hit the security dialog in say my Ping Test and say always accept then opening

another db file which normally would have the same problem, is no longer a problem.  Unfortunately

this is a hack not a real solution.  Since I do not know how reset the security dialog parameters I do

not know how to unset the choice for testing either.

Do you know how persistent the Always answer to the security question will be.

i.e.: till you close and reopen FMGo, or Always for that device, or perhaps always till you restart device?

I really need an answer to this one today if possible.

Thank you,

Hope this is helpful,

• 9. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
                          sprynmd

We're having a similar problem

Our system is an iPad running in kiosk mode controlled by Apple Configurator 2.  The iPad is set up to run in single application mode displaying safety data sheets (SDS).  The database syncs a local copy of the DB with one running on the server once a day.  (The sync is really just a fresh import of the data.)

This was all working fine on FMS 15 and FMGo 15.  We upgraded both to 16 then started having trouble.  The iPad consistently gets 802 errors.  I can directly open the server copy of the database from the iPad, but the import script can not.  I seemed to get around the problem initially by manually displaying the list of server databases on the iPad, then opening the local copy.  It would sync fine.  But that no longer works.  It also seemed to help at first to run the "Open File" script step, but that is where the 802 error comes from now.  My scripts do all have "Full Access Privileges".

We do have certificate issues with our FMP clients, so our FMS currently has SSL disabled.  (That problem is a whole other discussion.)  So I'm not sure if our 802 problem is related to security.

For now, I reverted to FMGo 15 (15.0.4) and the 802 problem went away (still using FMS 16).

Environment:

iPad Air 2 ( iOS 10.3.2)

FMServer 16.0.1.184

FMGo 16.0.1

...Mike

• 10. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
                            ScottBleackley

Hi Mike,

Just create a very simple FMGo DB that pings your server with no error capture on

open it with FMGo 16.  When you ping you will get a security dialog, when you attempt to access the server.

Select "Always use this server".
                            Close your ping db

Now open your kiosk in FMGo16 and it should work.

Hope this helps,

• 11. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
                              sprynmd

Hi, Scott:

Thanks for the tip.  That seems to do the trick.  I'm hoping the need for this is temporary until we get the certificate problem worked out.

What technique did you use for doing the "ping"?  I see some people did that using "Send Event".  For now I just opened then closed the server DB, but that works.

...Mike S

• 12. Re: FMGo 16 unable to connect to server, but same db works with FMGo 15
                                ScottBleackley

Hi Mike,

Yes, anything that attempts to open a connection between FMGo and  FMS would likely work as long as error capture is off.  Good to know the minimal case though.  If we only knew how to preset this value…

I was really using the term ping, as in a generic network ping to determine existence, but in fact I did use the ping script included in the FM EasySync framework as a simply way to trigger the security dialog.  The ping script just returns, like its network equivalent, a time of travel.