4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 1:26 PM by blaze_125

Unable to create any PDF in 15.0.3

blaze_125

Hi, I'm running one instance of Filemaker 11 in which I can generate PDFs with no issue.

I am also running an instance of Filemaker Pro Advanced 15 in which I can NOT generate PDFs.

The error that comes up is this one.

"whatevername.pdf" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk.

According to the release notes, 15.0.3 appears to be the version in which this problem is supposedly fixed. Although all of my co-workers can take the database and create PDFs from their machine, I can't.

I tried with Adobe Acrobat DC, then Adobe Acrobat Xi. Same results in both cases.

Windows 10 64 bit

• 1. Re: Unable to create any PDF in 15.0.3
          TSPigeon

blaze_125:

Thank you for your post!

There have been cases in the past where this issue was resolved by following the steps in Some fonts are replaced with an unreadable .tmp font, thought it is not the same issue. Can you confirm?

Would that computer have any plug-ins installed that the other machines do not?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Unable to create any PDF in 15.0.3
            blaze_125

I tried the suggested work arounds and none worked.

Update to the latest version of Adobe Reader. - Did not work

Delete the Windows font cache at C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT and restart the machine. - Did not work

Disable Windows Font Cache Service from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services - Did not work

Delete the Adobe cache inside C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\acrord32_sbx\ - No such folder

Use a zoom level other than 100%. -  Did not work

Though, in the process of doing that I noticed the PDF does get created, but it gets deleted within 1 or 2 seconds after it shows up in the directory where it gets saved. It disappears pretty much at the same time the error message comes up.

I didn't try 15.0.1 yet. We installed updates before I started using the software. So today I'll re-install and use no update to see if it makes a difference.

As for the plugin question, we all have the one BE plugin installed.

• 3. Re: Unable to create any PDF in 15.0.3
              blaze_125
              I didn't try 15.0.1 yet. We installed updates before I started using the software. So today I'll re-install and use no update to see if it makes a difference.

So I uninstalled 15.0.3, restarted, installed 15.0.1.

I am no longer getting the error message but, the created PDFs are corrupt. Since this issue would have been solved in 15.0.2, now I'll install that version and see what's up.

• 4. Re: Unable to create any PDF in 15.0.3
                blaze_125

More to bite on...

Installed 15.0.2: On this version I'm getting the same behavior as 15.0.3.

Though, in the process of testing 15.0.2 I figured I'd try what some others have tried... which is changing the font being used... So I went into my project, added a new layout with only 1 static text field and tried to print it. Different fonts, different results.

At first my field was using "Helvetica" and generated an error when creating the PDF.

Tried a different font, and I was able to generate a readable PDF file.

So I re-installed 15.0.3

Same behavior has 15.0.2 where different fonts have different results.

So this boils down to fonts.

So far I have only seen this happen with TTF fonts, though I'm DO HAVE SOME TTF fonts that DO work. I have yet to see the error happen when using an OTF font.