6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 2:01 AM by luis.ecohaus

FileMaker Cloud vs Software Development

luis.ecohaus

Hi all,

Please allow me to ask this "silly"/newbie question as I am trying to find the best to way to do it:

• When you have a database running on production using FileMaker Cloud, how do you deal with continuous development?
        • Do you work in the same live database file?
        • Otherwise, how do you upload the new version taking into account the current production database already containing data?

This might be a silly question but I'm still learning and I would like to get some advice from someone with more experience.

Thank you all.

Luis

• 1. Re: FileMaker Cloud vs Software Development
          mikebeargie

You can do it one of three ways:

1) Work on the live file. A lot of people cringe at the sound of this but almost every developer I've ever talked to is guilty of it. FM has been a lot more stable with realtime development as long as you take into account basic precautions. There are debates on this if you search the community site. I can't recommend one or the other without knowing your use case.

2) Work on a local copy of the file, then for deployment, run a "download" script that downloads the production data into your local copy. From there, close and remove the production copy and upload your local dev copy.

3) And probably the most preferred, use the data separation model, where your data lives in one file and your interfaces all live in another. Then you can do method #2 without the need for your data download. Just swap the interface file with the updated one and your good to go.

Without #1, you must discuss the downtime window with your client to allow you to make the updates. It will mostly depend on how much data you are trying to transfer, but you just need to force disconnect users before starting.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Cloud vs Software Development
            wimdecorte

Lots of info in this fairly recent thread:

Re: How to continue development on active product?

If you do a search on 'ongoing development' you'll find that this topic has been discussed often and you will find many good suggestions.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FileMaker Cloud vs Software Development
              schamblee

I prefer not to work on live database if possible, but as others in the community have pointed out, sometimes it impossible to download a large databases (several GB), make updates, and then upload back to the server, not to mention any security / privacy issues..     I suggest making plenty of backups.   

• 4. Re: FileMaker Cloud vs Software Development
                bigtom

Whenever possible I schedule downtime and work on the live file when all other users are disconnected after making a backup. But that depends on how much is being done.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Cloud vs Software Development
                  CarlSchwarz

bigtom wrote:

Whenever possible I schedule downtime and work on the live file when all other users are disconnected after making a backup. But that depends on how much is being done.

This is great if it's an office with set hours, that is working on the live file "out of hours".  There is an advantage to being a remote developer in another time-zone!

• 6. Re: FileMaker Cloud vs Software Development
                    luis.ecohaus

Thank you all for your feedback.