4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 4:49 AM by ndveitch

FM Server on Linux

ndveitch

Hi All,

Is FileMaker planning on releasing a FMS for Linux? I ask this because surely if they can get FMS to work on Linux through AWS, surely they could release a stand alone Linux version for server? I have a client who is looking to move to the cloud and we were thinking of FM Cloud but being in Mauritius we are not sure if FM Cloud would be a good choice.

They have a small FM Solution and if we go the cloud route, that will mean having to buy a Windows Server 2016 license just to host their FM Solution. If FileMaker could release a FMS for Linux, that would help us out immensely. Actually if there was a FMS for Linux that would help in Africa as well as then we wouldn't have the stress of trying to sell our clients a microsoft license just to get them to go with FileMaker. 

Here in Africa we have to look for the cheapest option possible because of the price being in US Dollars, and when clients hear that they have to get a server on top of the development cost and FM costs, just to run their solution, lets just say, I have lost a number of deals because of all the extra costs. Having a FMS for Linux would be such a help in this regard.

• 2. Re: FM Server on Linux
          wimdecorte

ndveitch wrote:

when clients hear that they have to get a server on top of the development cost and FM costs, just to run their solution, lets just say, I have lost a number of deals because of all the extra costs.

While I fully support the drive to get an on-premise version of Linux; the argument above comes up from time to time on these forums.

Developing on the FM platform means that the cost of the platform needs to be taken into account.

iMHO, there are no 'extra' costs; there are just costs.  Delivering a solution to the client is more than just the cost of development.  The licensing and deployment costs are well-known ahead of time and should not come as a surprise at all.  Sometimes presenting the total cost up front without breaking it down too much gives the potential client a clearer idea instead of being made to feel like this is 'death by a 1000 cuts'.  It can be a subtle but important psychological difference for your sales pitch: presenting one cost is preferable than presenting a slew of items each priced individually.  The latter causes uncertainty and requires the client to keep track of them all to calculate their total cost.  Nobody likes uncertainty.

• 3. Re: FM Server on Linux
            ndveitch

Hi wimdecorte

What you say is true, and we do quote with all the costs involved. The reason I am having a rant this morning is because I have a client on a small site (less than 10 users) and they have never had a server. They currently run a Windows 8.1 PC as their server and in the past FMS could run on that but when I went to upgrade them to FM15 I found out that it wont install on a PC, it has to be a server.

I know the client should take into account the cost of the server, but often they dont and then when they see it on the quote and even after we have told them about it, they questioning it. Then I have to explain to a non-tech person why they need a server.

• 4. Re: FM Server on Linux
              ndveitch

I see the FM Server for Linux has been delivered so i could not vote up that one, and the other 2 I had already voted up