8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2017 2:09 PM by TSGal

Insert Current Date – Shortcut broken

Fred(CH)

Since FileMaker Pro 16.0.1 (French), the shortcut to Insert Current Date [CTRL/cmd] [-] is no longer working, since it is now used to reduce display zoom, following the bottom bar removal.

However this shortcut is still displayed in front of INSERT > CURRENT DATE.

It is annoying to get this kind of change, particularily for the enduser who does not understand what is happening.

WORKAROUND : With FMPA, spend your day to build your own Custom Menu Set… yessss !

• 1. Re: Insert Current Date – Shortcut broken
          hschlossberg

CTRL [-] still works for inserting today's date in Windows, so I can't test the issue: Are you using the dash on the number pad or main keyboard? Not sure it'd make a difference, but worth checking.  By any chance does CMD [/] work?  That would seem logical given the zoom change.

I personally wish CTRL [-] and CTRL [+] worked on Windows as a zoom ... as long as there were a new shortcut for the date.  But logical keyboard commands were only added on Mac.  On Windows, they are using F3 and Shift-F3, which in the rest of the Windows world has forever meant "re-find".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Insert Current Date – Shortcut broken
            Fred(CH)

Sorry i was too rapid and i was wrong. It is a bit more tricky.

There is no Workaround, since the issue is only with Custom Menus.

With Standard Menus installed, there is no issue : IF the focus is on a enterable field, [cmd] [-] insert the date, ELSE it "unzoom".

However, with  Custom Menu, though the according 2 Menu Item are using all properties of the associated Standard command (Activation, Shortcut, No script attached), the rule explained above does not exist and they are entering in conflict.

To Summarize :

Mac only

FileMaker 15 + Custom Menu Set => OK

FileMaker 16 + Standard Menu Set => OK

FileMaker 16 + Custom Menu Set => Not OK

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Insert Current Date – Shortcut broken
              Fred(CH)

So sorry Howard, i was definitely too *fast* when reporting this one. I even not checked if [CTRL] [-] was the shortcut on Windows. Shame on me .

• 4. Re: Insert Current Date – Shortcut broken
                TSGal

Fred(CH):

Thank you for your posts.

I am unable to replicate the issue on Mac.  This is what I have done:

1. I set my macOS Sierra 10.12.5 System Preferences Language & Region to Français language and France Region.

2. I launched FileMaker Pro Advanced 16.0.1, created a new file with one Text field "Text".

3. I created a Custom menu "Test" that includes the Insert menu (and Insertion > Date du jour with shortcut).

4. Using the [Menus FileMaker standard], I created a record, put my cursor in "Text", and pressed Command -  . Today's date was entered (16/06/2017).

5. I switched to the "Test" custom menu, created a record, put my cursor in "Text", and pressed Command -  .

Again, today's date was entered (16/06/2017).

Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can reproduce the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Insert Current Date – Shortcut broken
                  Fred(CH)

TSGal, Thank you for your work and your answer !

In all my custom menus sets, Insert Menu is a sub-menu of Edit Menu, not a main menu.

I am so accustomed to this that i missed it (sorry). After further testings, i can confirm that it was the key is here.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Insert Current Date – Shortcut broken
                    Fred(CH)

TSGal, were you (or a tester) finally able to replicate the issue using these additional information ?

• 7. Re: Insert Current Date – Shortcut broken
                      TSGal

Fred(CH):

Thank you for the information.

Yes, if the custom menu option has been moved from the Insert menu to the Edit menu, then the Zoom setting takes precedence, regardless if you are in a field or not.  I have sent this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

As a workaround, either remove the keyboard shortcut for zoom, or change "Current Date" to another keyboard shortcut (e.g., Shift Command -  ).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Insert Current Date – Shortcut broken
                        TSGal

Fred(CH):

Our Testing department is able to replicate the issue.  All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.