6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2017 1:25 AM by monkeybreadsoftware

Server busy error

DavidZakary

A client, running FMS/FM 15 is getting an error when switching applications. I'm still trying to get all of the details but this is what he sent me...

When switching from FileMaker (Windows laptop) to another application (Outlook in this instance) via alt-tab he's getting a dialog pop up that says "Server Busy. The action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program and correct the problem.". Dialog has the option to "Switch To", "Retry" and "Cancel" (grayed out). From the photo of his screen he sent me, it looks to be Windows 7 but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyone seen this before?

I'm trying to determine if FileMaker or Outlook is the culprit here. It doesn't happen on the Mac. I haven't been able to recreate the issue yet on any of my machines.

The database, while big, isn't overly complex and shouldn't be running any long tasks.

Dave Zakary

• 1. Re: Server busy error
          steveromig

A client, running FMS/FM 15 is getting an error when switching applications. I'm still trying to get all of the details but this is what he sent me...

When switching from FileMaker (Windows laptop) to another application (Outlook in this instance) via alt-tab he's getting a dialog pop up that says "Server Busy. The action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program and correct the problem.". Dialog has the option to "Switch To", "Retry" and "Cancel" (grayed out). From the photo of his screen he sent me, it looks to be Windows 7 but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyone seen this before?

I'm trying to determine if FileMaker or Outlook is the culprit here. It doesn't happen on the Mac. I haven't been able to recreate the issue yet on any of my machines.

The database, while big, isn't overly complex and shouldn't be running any long tasks.

Dave Zakary

I have seen this error when using non-FileMaker and/or non-Outlook applications.  There are numerous, generic suggestions on how to resolve it - most of which involve "trying again" or "resetting everything"

However, one case where I have seen it with FileMaker Pro is documented in our knowledge base - and it also involves Outlook.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14500/

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Server busy error
            DavidZakary

Thanks Steve.

I'm getting my client to check and see what versions of the apps he has installed - 32 or 64-bit. I've got a feeling his version of Outlook is 32-bit. Of course he's in another city and I just can't pop over to his office to check myself. Their IT company just imaged a new PC for him. Guessing their image isn't up to snuff.

• 3. Re: Server busy error
              philmodjunk

And sometimes, the solution is to not use Outlook but rather SMTP--possibly with the support of an Email plug in. May not be an option that your client can accept, but it's one to consider at least.

• 4. Re: Server busy error
                DavidZakary

They used to use the SMTP features but didn't like it. So they went to client-based email generated by FileMaker. They wanted to search for email in the client vs. stored in the database. The workflow didn't work for them and these old dogs weren't about to learn new tricks.

• 5. Re: Server busy error
                  DavidRegenthal

I'm seeing this issue as well.  Oddly enough I never had a problem with the same database I built and have been using since Version 12.  The problem, for me, did not present until my recent upgrade to V16.

I'm not blaming FileMaker. I suspect the problem originates (somewhere) with Windows . . .

I'm on a Windows 10 Pro PC with 1 gig SSD, 64 gigs RAM, Norton 360.  If I stumble on a solution I'll be sure to share.

• 6. Re: Server busy error
                    monkeybreadsoftware

You can avoid this by sending emails via plugin. With the MBS FileMaker Plugin you can send via smtp or on Windows via client app. And as far as I know the WinSendMail  functions do not show the server busy error.

the server busy error seems to come after 8 seconds which also is the default timeout for OLE functions on Windows.