4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 11:15 PM by pleiades

Relationship based conditional value lists in List View not working, what could be the problem?

pleiades

Hello,

I'm following the Adventures in Filemaker 1 CVL by  Phil Caulkins, PhilModJunk, Basic Conditional Value List. The problem is I can't seem to seperate the Vendors from the Customers of the Companies Table in the List View Layout.

I created a Table Companies,

Fields:

CompanyID - serial

CompanyName - text

CompanyType - text - Vendor or Customer

I created a List View Layout, added all the Company Fields.

I created a Table CompanyType (this is the Main table in the Adventures in Filemaker 1 CVL)

Fields:

CompanyType - text

Relationship

CompanyType:CompanyType -> Companies:CompanyType

Created a Value List

CompanyType

Use value from fields: CompanyType::CompanyType

Include all values

Added a CompanyType checkbox to the List Layout

Everything seems to be followed in the tutorial.

When I mark Vendor in the Layout, It will show just 1 record, I'm expecting that it will show all Vendor type records.

Maybe there is something I forgot?

Or this is not allowed?

What are the alternative to this?

If I mark Vendor it will show all vendors in the list.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Relationship based conditional value lists in List View not working, what could be the problem?
          philmodjunk

I created a List View Layout, added all the Company Fields.

and is this a layout based on the Company Table or the company Type table?

I would guess from the overall narrative, that it's based on Company. If so, what you describe here doesn't make a lot of sense.

A conditional value list of companies wouldn't normally be set up on the company table, but some other table that you want to link to a selected record in company.

And if you are trying to use this conditional value list on a layout based on CompanyType, you'd want a value list of values from Company, with "include only related values starting from CompanyType and this is a value list that you do not describe. You only describe a standard "use values from field" value list, you don't describe a conditional value list.

• 2. Re: Relationship based conditional value lists in List View not working, what could be the problem?
            pleiades

Hello Sir Caulkins,

Thank you for making the Adventures in Filemaker!

I cannot explain it properly so I added the attachment here.

What I'm trying to accomplish is what is in the portal of layout "company type w/ portal" but in the List layout view.

You mark the checkbox and it will only show the Company with the marked company type

I was able to show the Company with the marked company type in a portal but when I mark it on a List layout it will only show one record

I want the result to be on a List Layout not in a portal

---

Also, I noticed that when I have both Vendor and Customer selected, it will show all the records, I was expecting that it will only show record number 9 because its the only record with both Vendor and Customer marked.

• 3. Re: Relationship based conditional value lists in List View not working, what could be the problem?
              philmodjunk

I've looked at your file and it still doesn't make any sense. And you don't have any conditional value list defined.

If I understand what you want, you need the following:

A company ID field in Company types. This will be the field you format with a conditional value list of fields.

The check boxes in the header need to be either moved into the body or changed to be a global field.

You need to add a second occurrence of the company field that you link by company ID instead of company type. You need the current relationship for your CVL, but if you plan on selecting a company and seeing the name, type and any other company data you want appear, you need the second relationship.

Then you need an actual conditional value list. It needs to be Use Value from Field, from your original occurrence of companies, but company ID would be field 1, Company name would be field 2, you'd select "show only 2nd field" and "include only related values starting from CompanyType".

So you might want to take a fresh look at the example file....

• 4. Re: Relationship based conditional value lists in List View not working, what could be the problem?
                pleiades

Thank you sir,

I had redo it again and was able to make it work!