3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2017 8:49 AM by CICT

Dimensions for multiple selection in layout mode back in v16

CICT

I'm sure someone has posted this, but I couldn't find one, so just wanted to say thank you to FileMaker for putting back the dimensions in the Inspector for when multiple layout objects are selected.

When did we lose this? v12?

No longer having to temporarily group and ungroup to check. Excellent.

Andy

• 1. Re: Dimensions for multiple selection in layout mode back in v16
          keywords

I agree, but it's even better now than it used to be, because figures that pertain to multiple selection are greyed out, so you can get a better idea of what's what.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dimensions for multiple selection in layout mode back in v16
            GarySprung

Before 16, with multiple objects selected, the Inspector would not display top, bottom, left, and right. I think you are happy that 16 does now show those dimensions. Me too.

But, for me, it introduced a new problem. I often select a group of fields or their labels to see if they are all the same height or width. In 15, if the individual heights and widths are the same, their common width or height displays. If not the same, those Inspector fields would display a hyphen. Because the Inspector now gives only the total, I have to click on each object individually to see its height.

Perhaps the solution is some setting or panel field to show both approaches.

• 3. Re: Dimensions for multiple selection in layout mode back in v16
              CICT

Hi Gary

I think Keywords has identified what you're looking for. Rather than the hyphen being displayed where values were not common, the values are now greyed out. If you click on 2 labels or fields that are left aligned, but the width is different, the left value will be displayed in black as this is common, but the width value will be displayed in a light grey displaying the overall (or widest) value but in grey to indicate they are not the same (previously a hyphen). If both are the same width, the value will be the normal black text.

The change of behaviour with the release of v12 was a big problem for us 'oldies', having been used to the previous behaviour for over 20 years. However, this new behaviour should make us happy again, but still allow you to use it as you've been used to.

Kind regards

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful