AnsweredAssumed Answered

Combining Boolean Operators

Question asked by BrianWoods on Jun 14, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 by BrianWoods

Hi, I am trying to write a solution that strives for better communication by encouraging the user to avoid certain words.

It seems like it'd be a relatively simple formula that addresses a couple of conditions that will likely require combining the AND/OR operators.

Rather than having annoying error messages reappear, conditional formatting should be an innocuous approach.

At any rate, the first condition is whether one of the "undesirable" words has been entered.  There are dozens of words, but here's a small set:

really

just

kind of

used to

The second condition is whether the user has chosen to override the conditional formatting. Might seem odd to have an override option. But trust me, it needs to be there.  At any rate, the override checkbox would have a single choice "On". With the checkbox on, any appropriate conditional formatting should disappear.  My best crack at it would be:

Override  ≠  "On"

AND

(PatternCount (Self; " like ")  ≥  1 or

PatternCount (Self; " really ")  ≥  1 or

PatternCount (Self; " just ")  ≥  1 or

PatternCount (Self; " kind of ")  ≥  1 or

PatternCount (Self; " used to ")  ≥  1)

I've set the conditional formatting to turn the fill to a soft orange color when any of the above words are used.

As a test using the word "like" I've inserted a composite screenshot below showing the four possibilities (and the results).

You can see that I'm getting the conditional formatting even with the override checked.

Override2.jpg

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes