4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 9:25 AM by DonClark

FileMaker 15 WebDirect clients get blank screen on login

DonClark

Problem:  FileMaker 15 WebDirect clients get a blank screen on login after the server has been running a while.  There are up to 30 concurrent users from different countries logging on to the system.

Setup:  We are running FMS 15.0.3.308 on an AWS t2.Xlarge installation running Windows Server 2012 R2 base (4 cores, 16GB ram).

A second AWS server (t2.medium) runs FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2.220 and is logged onto the server based file. This machine uses 360works RemoteScripter to listen to a port for a call to run a pdf generation script that takes about 40 seconds to process per request. 

Since this was setup last week, it ran fine for 3 days, then we had problems with WebDirect clients logging on and seeing a blank screen.  One quick fix was to turn off the Web Publishing Engine, then turning it back on.  That works for about 90 minutes, then the problem re-occurs. Restarting the AWS server solves the problem, too, but I've only done this once since the problem just started in the past 24 hours. The robot client does not have any connection issues - it stays logged on all the time.

The FileMaker server logging system does not throw any errors when this happens.  Windows Event Viewer does throw an error while this is happening:

A fatal alert was generated and sent to the remote endpoint. This may result in termination of the connection. The TLS protocol defined fatal error code is 10. The Windows SChannel error state is 120

I tried researching this, but was not able to find an answer to the cause.

Background:  This AWS server is located in the AWS London region.  The users are in the London area as well as in South Africa.  The owner was using a MacinCloud server up to last week, but having a lot of bandwidth issues causing users to have very slow response times to the point the system was unusable. That setup had FileMaker Server 15 with a FMPA 15 both on the same machine.  When the system was responsive, the robot successfully saved the pdf and uploaded it to a container field.  This process took several minutes, and during that time all the other WebDirect Clients were able to continue accessing the database normally. 

In an effort to fix the slowdown problem, the client upgraded to FMS 16 and FMPA 16 on the same machine.  The problems persisted, so the decision was made to switch to AWS. 

The printing still took the same amount of time, but the big difference was that the WebDirect clients are now locked out while the robot generates the pdf and are disconnected, as well.  Moving the Robot to an different AWS server (the current configuration) improved the PDF generation time from several minutes to about 40 seconds, and the WebDirect clients are still locked out, but they are not disconnected.

To summarize, when the system ran on the Mac server, the WebDirect users are able to continue using the software during pdf generation.  When running on Windows on AWS, the WebDirect clients are locked out from using the software during pdf generation.

So, two issues:  logging into a blank WebDirect screen and users get locked out during pdf generation.  They may be related. 

Any help would be appreciated.  This is a live system with unhappy clients, so time is of the essence.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect clients get blank screen on login
          TSGal

DonClark:

Thank you for your post.

For clarification, what browsers are being used by the clients?

Does the Admin Console -> Status show everything running?

Does Admin Console -> Activity -> Clients show anything out of the ordinary?

When the issue first appears, what is logged in the Event.log just prior to the issue?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect clients get blank screen on login
            DonClark

Hi TSGal,

Given the problems we were having, we decided to update to FM server 16.  I did so following the steps outlined in the FMS server documentation and all went well.  That seems to have solved the blank screen logon, but new problems have arisen: 

Problem 1:  The session timeout is set to 45 minutes yet not all of the clients are seeing the Auto logout message of  "Session Expired" as follows:

• Chrome 58 and above on Mac - stops responding after 45 minutes, no Session Expired message

• Mac Safari version Version 10.1.1 (12603.2.4) does work properly

• Mac Safari version Version 10.2.1 (12603.2.4) does not work - stops responding after 45 minutes, no Session Expired message

• Chrome on Windows 2012R2 does work properly

All clients are using Safari, Chrome 58 or above, Edge, or Internet Explorer.  No other browsers are are supported and since these users are in classes, the type of browser is enforced. 

Problem 2:  Our other problem of the WebDirect clients getting locked out during pdf generation is still an issue. It may be a problem with RemoteScripter, so I have opened another ticket with them and sent them a video showing the problem.  If that does not pan out I will open a new ticket for just this problem.

Problem 3:  FMPA 16 on our separate robot AWS server keeps crashing unexpectedly. All the robot does is make large pdf reports.  The server has 4GB ram and 2 cores and is running 2012R2. I ran 17 tests in a row without a crash after reinstalling RemoteScripter, but it crashed once we had 8-11 users on WebDirect running the script at various times.  This may be a RemoteScripter problem, too, so I will open a new ticket if that gets ruled out by 360works. 

On problems 2 and 3, if you are aware of any issues that might be causing those problems, your feedback would still be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Don

• 3. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect clients get blank screen on login
              TSGal

DonClark:

Thank you for your post.

In "Problem 1", you mention Mac Safari version Version 10.2.1.  I have the most up-to-date version as 10.1.1.  Can you verify?

If you disable RemoteScripter, are you able to print to PDF?  Do you continue to crash?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 15 WebDirect clients get blank screen on login
                DonClark

Safari version - My client in Austraiia gave me that info.  I'll confirm it later when he is awake.

RemoteScripter:  I can run the script on the robot (or any client) with a button push and it will run without locking up the WebDirect clients.  I ran it several times without FM crashing. Not sure if I could continue to do so.  I will ask try it later today when all users are off.

Don