I have the opportunity to buy a new client server.... a Mac! I have tried to look at PC's but I can't even configure what is required with most suppliers.
We currently have a 2012 Mac Pro 3.2gHz with 32 gig RAM and 1 TB Sata drive which is underpowered for the 20+ FMP users plus there are iOS and CWP web users and (perhaps) a few WebDirect users. Our big problem is that there are many external files uploaded and each backup is HUGE. Backing up to an external HD is too slow so we want to use the internal drive.
Top of the line Mac Pro only goes to 1TB SSD... so even pumping up the cores and the 64Gig Ram won't work for us.
- 2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache
- 64GB (4 x 16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
- 1TB PCIe-based flash storage
- Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each
My question is relating to the potential purchase of one of the new iMacs... It has only 4 cores but can be configured like this:
- 4.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
- 64GB of 2400MHz DDR4
- 2TB SSD
- Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB of video memory
I can't wait until December for the iMac Pro and I can't see the Mac Pro with an update until long after that.
HOW MUCH difference would the extra Cores on the Mac Pro make?
What are your recommendations?